High Tide Aquatics

BAR Regional swap August 15th @ Chabot College 1:00

Bay Area Reefers Summer Regional Swap

The BAR regional frag swap is intended to promote the propagation, sharing and ‘backing up’ of corals within the reefing community. In this event, BAR values a spirit of generosity in support of the hobby and all its participants.
This swap is open to everyone. Meet and hang out with your fellow hobbyists. Share and enjoy the diversity of corals grown by your fellow reefers. Learn more on how to care for the corals you pick and the corals you currently have.

Never been to a swap before?

No problem! We have a newbie welcoming committee that will be there to help. There will even be a newbie's corner with discussions designed to improve your reefing skills.

“That sounds neat, how do I participate?”

• Entry fee: Prepay $5 for BAR members and $10 for nonmembers, last minute registration (after Aug. 7th) $15, or $20 at the door, please use PayPal for payments by sending money to paypal@bareefers.org be sure to include your name and if you are a BAR member your handle. Entry fee covers the cost for corals purchased from our sponsors to be added to the swap by BAR, as well as advertising the swap outside of the regional club scene
•Show up for Registration 11:00-12:30
•Bring three or more different strains of coral (BAR members are known for bringing dozens of corals, so don't feel like you can only bring 3), also see below for corals that will not qualify you for the general swap*

Important Information

•The swap will be held on August 15th at Chabot College Cafeteria in Hayward
•Swap registration is 11:00-12:30, anyone coming late to check in automatically is placed into the last picking group
•The swap starts at 1:00 hard
•The raffle will be held during the swap, so keep your ears open, although winning numbers will remain posted after they’ve been called
•We ask that you package your corals in deli containers similar to these, or these NO ZIPLOCK BAGS. Not only can you see the corals better, they do not leak all over the place so we can return to Chabot for future swaps. If you show up with substandard packing you will be asked to purchase deli containers and repackage and label your corals
•All containers shall be labeled with the coral type, your name and internet handle and growing conditions if they are not labeled you will be required to label them on the spot, see This Thread for pre-made blank BAR Avery labels
•There will be food and beverages available for purchase during the event
• Any corals that are deemed unhealthy or freshly fragged will not qualify you for the swap, it is against our mission to reward poor propagation techniques.
•There will be a raffle of items donated by our sponsors. Tickets will be on sale at the event. $40 buys you 40 tickets!

*these organisms have been deemed too common in the hobby. They will be placed on a separate table from other corals at the swap. If you only bring non-qualifying coral that are on this list you will be restricted to only picking from the common table for the first two rounds.

Non-Qualifying Corals

Green Star Polyp (GSP)
Brown Protopalythoa (sea mat)
19.jpg

Xenia
Anthelia
Encrusting Gorgonian (brown GSP)
Kenya Tree
Colt Coral
Brown Toadstool Leather
Macroalgae (California legal varieties)

Hi Jeremy,
Nonmember = Not BAR member or Not a reef club member?
The fee is only for swapper only or anyone who enter the door?
Thanks!

Elite said:
Hi Jeremy,
Nonmember = Not BAR member or Not a reef club member?
The fee is only for swapper only or anyone who enter the door?
Thanks!

Just an educated guess from taking note of how every BAR swap has basically been run.... Every "regional swap" has been open to all clubs and "member only" was for current BAR members that met the swap requirements. In the past only those who took place in the swap paid.

yeah I know it's open to all the clubs..
This is why I'm asking:
Entry fee: Prepay $5 for BAR members and $10 for nonmembers

If I just go by that, that would mean $5 for BAR member and $10 for anyone who is not a BAR member. It doesn't matter if you are MARS's or NCRC's or any other clubs members. My english is suck so it's not uncommon that I misunderstand LOL :D ...

Elite said:
This is why I'm asking:

If I just go by that, that would mean $5 for BAR member and $10 for anyone who is not a BAR member. It doesn't matter if you are MARS's or NCRC's or any other clubs members. My english is suck so it's not uncommon that I misunderstand LOL :D ...

That is how its supposed to read.

iani said:
Elite said:
This is why I'm asking:

That is how its supposed to read.

Shweew glad I got that one right :)

Now the question is, any club? I'm a member of Frag Nation and a Photoshop club :lol:

why is this on the 3rd saturday of August? this is messin up my mojo as it's my wifes Bday and I pretty sure I can't (or wont dare) go to this.

My memory is fuzzy, but I think it had to do with a scheduling conflict with room availability. It is 1 day shy of the 2nd saturday :p

People are put into random picking groups , then the groups take turn over a designated time period to select a single (or double if announced) coral. This cycles through till coral are all picked

Basically yeah, except instead of straws we draw name tags with letters/numbers on them. And you go by group. Then it oscillates back and forth meaning if you got a "long straw" you get to pick early sure for the 1st round, but the 2nd round you pick last.

tuberider said:
Bay Area Reefers Summer Regional Swap
• Any corals that are deemed unhealthy or freshly fragged will not qualify you for the swap, it is against our mission to reward poor propagation techniques.

I like the wording on that! :D :D :D

It says to bring 3 different strains of corals. Do different color morphs count as strains? or do you mean 3 different coral species?

glee said:
does bar need any help on the day of the swap? set up, clean up, etc.?

Just for asking I'm giving you both a gold medal and a gold star :)

tl-gold_medal_sticker.jpg

gold-star.jpg

Back