High Tide Aquatics

BAR Regional Swap February 12th @ Chabot College- Please note location change

seminolecpa

Past President
PLEASE NOTE LOCATION CHANGE BELOW

Bay Area Reefers Regional Swap

The BAR regional frag swap is intended to promote the propagation, sharing and ‘backing up’ of corals within the reefing community. In this event, BAR values a spirit of generosity in support of the hobby and all its participants.
This swap is open to everyone. Meet and hang out with your fellow hobbyists. Share and enjoy the diversity of corals grown by your fellow reefers. Learn more on how to care for the corals you pick and the corals you currently have.

Never been to a swap before?

No problem! We have a newbie welcoming committee that will be there to help. There will even be a newbie's corner with discussions designed to improve your reefing skills.

How the swap will work

• Corals will be placed on tables with a family of corals (I.E. Zoas, soft corals, LPS, SPS - sticks, SPS - plates, other)
• You will receive a name tag with a group letter
• letters will be called in this order: A;B:C:D;E;F;Z;Z;F;E;D;C;B;A;A...
• When your group letter is called, in the first round, you will have a few minutes to select a coral
• Successive rounds will be shorter and you will be able to grab more corals.

“That sounds neat, how do I participate?”

• Entry fee: Prepay $5 for 2011 registered BAR members and $10 for nonmembers if paid by 5pm PST Sunday February 6th
, or $20 at the door.

The period for Prepay has ended. All payments for the swap will now have to be made the day of the swap at the door. Thank You.

Entry fee covers the cost for corals purchased from our sponsors to be added to the swap by BAR, along with advertising the swap outside of the regional club scene [the paid swap participant list is located here http://www.bareefers.org/home/node/12188]

•Show up for Registration 11:00-12:30
•Bring three or more different strains of coral (BAR members are known for bringing dozens of corals, so don't feel like you only need to bring 3), also see below for corals that will not qualify you for the general swap* also see the attached link for some corals that people are planning to bring http://www.bareefers.org/home/node/12227

Important Information

•The swap will be held on February 12th in bldg number 700 room 722 at Chabot College map and campus map
Please see map of new swap location at the end of this post
•Chabot College charges $2 for parking. you will need to purchase a daily permit at on of the machines in the parking lots.
•Swap registration is 11:00-12:30, anyone coming late to check in automatically is placed into the last picking group
•The swap starts at 1:00 hard
•The raffle will be held during the swap, so keep your ears open, although winning numbers will remain posted after they’ve been called
•We ask that you package your corals in deli containers similar to these, or these NO ZIPLOCK BAGS. Not only can you see the corals better, they do not leak all over the place so we can return to Chabot for future swaps. If you show up with substandard packing you will be asked to purchase deli containers and repackage and label your corals. There are some handy frag packing tips in this thread This Thread, feel free to add any suggestions.
•All containers shall be labeled with the coral type, your name and internet handle and growing conditions if they are not labeled you will be required to label them on the spot, see This Thread for pre-made blank BAR Avery labels
•There will be food and beverages available for purchase during the event
• Any corals that are deemed unhealthy or freshly fragged will not qualify you for the swap, it is against our mission to reward poor propagation techniques.
•There will be a raffle of items donated by our sponsors. Tickets will be on sale at the event. $20 buys you as many tickets as $20 buys you!

Non-Qualifying Corals

*these organisms have been deemed too common in the hobby. They will be placed on a separate table from other corals at the swap. If you only bring non-qualifying coral that are on this list you will be restricted to only picking from the common table for the first two rounds.

Green Star Polyp (GSP)
GreenStarPolyp.jpg

Brown Protopalythoa (sea mat)
19.jpg

Xenia
Xenia-pompom.jpg

Anthelia

Anthelia400.jpg

Encrusting Gorgonian (brown GSP)

Encrusting.jpg

Kenya Tree

chimage.jpg

Colt Coral

colt2.jpg

Brown Toadstool Leather

toadstool01.jpg

Macroalgae (California legal varieties)

NEW SWAP LOCATION
Chabot2.jpg

Tumbleweed said:
Euphyllia said:
If we don't know the exact name of the coral that we are bringing can we label it, for example "bright red zoa"?
There will be people the checkbom table to help people identify corals if needed.

But "bright red zoa" will do just fine. Its probably a better description than one of the fancy/cool/brands used to describe zoas anyways.

cwolfus said:
Tumbleweed said:
Euphyllia said:
If we don't know the exact name of the coral that we are bringing can we label it, for example "bright red zoa"?
There will be people the checkbom table to help people identify corals if needed.

But "bright red zoa" will do just fine. Its probably a better description than one of the fancy/cool/brands used to describe zoas anyways.
Spoken like a true past president. :)

Meeting Room Directions

I had trouble finding the meeting room the first time I was at Chabot. I have created a small photoset to help newcomers with locating the meeting room:

BA Reefers Chabot Meeting Room Directions

Hope it helps. I have the originals and additional photos if someone wants to do a more professional job.

bondolo/Mike

bondolo said:
Meeting Room Directions

I had trouble finding the meeting room the first time I was at Chabot. I have created a small photoset to help newcomers with locating the meeting room:

BA Reefers Chabot Meeting Room Directions

Hope it helps. I have the originals and additional photos if someone wants to do a more professional job.

bondolo/Mike

Very nice Mike. BTW that is where our regular meetings are at, the swap is held in the Cafeteria itself, which is directly to the left of the meeting room.

If you don't mind, we will use your link for our meeting posts.

I remember that day of the first time I went to a meeting.
Gee I wish I had had that. It's a wonder I ever made it. LOL
Very nice work Mike!

cwolfus said:
Tumbleweed said:
Euphyllia said:

+1

Descriptions are better than names unless it is a very well known named piece and the ID is 100% certain.

I don't think I'll ever figure out these names. Sort of like all the names of the flies you can use. Last swap I just picked red acro or purple acro and I'll-be-dammed that's exactly what they turned into after a little while:)

But I'll see you at the swap nevertheless;)

Back