BAR Scholarship Program

Discussion in 'Wouldn't it be good if...?' started by boun11, Apr 23, 2009.

1. boun11

boun11 Supporting Member

I posted this up http://www.bareefers.org/home/node/7112 and Lyn mentioned that it would be great if BAR does something like this to help other by selling our corals for the cause. I work with youths in Oakland and one thing that there is a lack of is scholarship money for students to go to college. Would it be great if BAR established a scholarship program to promote marine life. We can sell corals to fund the scholarship. It could be for community college, or 4 year college.

My organization also provide scholarships and I'm willing to help come up with scholarship application and how to structure it if we have enough people think this is something BAR would like to do. A great way to get youths into reefing (money pits), and also to promote marine life and to save the destruction of the coral reef. Any thoughts?

2. Yea I like this idea, anybody else?

3. patchin

patchin Facilities / Event Coordinator

Maybe use part of BAYMAC proceeds for this??

4. Mr. Ugly

Mr. Ugly Past President

I'll donate corals for fundraising :D

5. iani

iani Guest

I would as well.

6. Lyn

Lyn Guest

Would anybody buy Strombus snails? I have lots of those. :)
    Would we sell outside of the club too?

7. tuberider

tuberider Guest

I really like the idea, but it seems our assets would not reach too many people since, lets face it, we just don't have the $$$$ power to spread it out and make it effective for more than just a couple of people.

I've suggested many times at BOD meetings to set up a program through Parks & Recs in a disadvantaged area, sort of an introduction to aquariums for the youth. I taught surfing through Parks & Recs in HMB for years here on the coast, it was a blast, the kids were awesome. What we emphasized was surfing etiquette, which at that point and time was lacking in the water around here with the kids, they'd snake/drop in on you in a second. Now they are sooo mellow, I recognize so many faces from the camp and can't help but wonder if "big wave" Dave, "carrot top", "the predator" A.K.A "tom-ato basil", and "the penguin" (me) have something to do with that.

Where I spent my formative years was not a pretty place (South West Philly[shout out to Lapsan!]), if it weren't for my fish I would not be here now, my aquariums were my escape.

8. neyugn0w01

neyugn0w01 Guest

The idea sounds great, but a lot of times the money doesn't go where its design too. Most kids in America already have it good. Free schooling and tons of other benefits. Our government has many programs that the kids can qualify for, IF they apply. I found that putting a kid through schooling in a third world country is much more beneficial. $1 in the US might not sound like much, but in a third world country, that money goes a lot further.

9. tuberider

tuberider Guest

Good one Lam, how about $$$ to fight malaria in countries where we import fish and corals from, we can save lives!

10. Orion

Orion Guest

I like this idea better. It will do more good doing this