Our mission

BAR Sponsors Steinhart Aquarium's New Reef Display!

Apon

Supporting Member
BAR Mission Statement

BAR (Bar Area Reefers) seeks to promote, foster and encourage education and appreciation for the ethical husbandry and propagation of marine life.

In an effort to continue our mission statement, BAR has worked with the Steinhart Aquarium in the California Academy of Sciences (CAS) on becoming a sponsor of their new coral propagation program.

In our next meeting in August 12th 2006, Bar members can donate corals to the Steinhart aquarium. Hopefully they will be grown out for the next 2 years, and be put in their new huge Reef tank display in 2008 in the new Facility in Golden Gate park.

Here are the guidelines from Steinhart (CAS):

1.) SPS hard corals, acropora, montipora, etc are prefered. LPS are also acceptable.
2.) Frags sizes should be at least 1 inch long and unmounted.
3.) If possible, mutliple fragments of the same species is prefered to have the best chance of survival.

Some Bar guidelines:

1.) BAR would like to track the coral as well, so if you know the identification and history of the coral would be helpful, along with the current conditions on the tank the coral came from. Please include a tag for the coral. ( a picture of the mother colony would be nice, but not required)

2.) All donations are tax-deductible, Steinhart (CAS) will provide a letter for tax purposes if you wish, you will assign the value for your donation.

If you have any questions please let us know.

Arnold Pon
BAR Sponsorship and Supply Manager

Do they not want softies at all? Is this tank specifically designed for the preferred SPS?

I ask because I have a nice piece of colt I'd love to see get huge at Steinharts!
(Plus Xenia, of course)

V

Do they care what color it is??
I have a good size brain coral (about 6-7") that needs a little TLC. It got sting by other coral. Will they take that?

Vincerama2 said:
Do they not want softies at all? Is this tank specifically designed for the preferred SPS?

I ask because I have a nice piece of colt I'd love to see get huge at Steinharts!
(Plus Xenia, of course)

V

I guess you haven't seen their Colt. They got a mountain of them.

They actually will take all corals, but will only put SPS and LPS in the new display, I can't say what will happen to your softies, maybe in a smaller tank they have.

Brain ok, but remember it has to make it for the next 2 years and they will decide if its ok for the new display.

Wow cool, I want to donate something. I've got a frag of acropora microphthalma I was going to sell, but I'd love to see it grow in that big tank. I don't think I can make the meeting though.

Apon said:
Brain ok, but remember it has to make it for the next 2 years and they will decide if its ok for the new display.

Cool.. I will bring it at the next meeting. It looks just like SPS :lol: ...

Here's some additional info:

The corals are being propagated to go into the new 212,000 gallon, 2 story tall, Phillipine reef display for the new aquarium at Golden Gate park. They have 2 years to grow out the display corals.

Steinhart's philosophy of public education and promotion of reef conservation is reflected by the fact that they are propagating all the corals for the new display rather than collecting from the wild. This is very much in agreement with BAR's mission as well, and we have made arrangements to help them with their project.

Steinhart is excited about working with BAR to get more corals into their prop bins for growout. We were told that even if they fill all their bins and grow out all the frags, the corals would only fill 60% of the new displays.

They initially said they were interested in SPS only, and 5 frags of each type. Right now, pretty much any coral is ok, but SPS is strongly preferred. They will be happy with anything they can get, and bigger is better :)

People can donate/share big corals and just let Steinhart frag and mount according to their preference.

No need to focus on rare or LE etc. They are building big displays and any super special nice corals can get lost in the background.

We will start with one donation, and see how it goes from there. Current plan is to collect frags at the August meeting. Steinhart will send a person to pick up from us at ASAP.

They will set up the BAR corals in their own growout bin(s) with a plaque identifying BAR etc. All the visitors to the temporary site of the aquarium will be able to see the corals donated by us :D

Here's a link to info on prototype reef at the temporary Steinhart Aquarium site:

http://www.calacademy.org/aquarium/coral_reef.cfm

Cool article in SFGATE:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2006/06/03/BAG9OJ7E7S1.DTL&hw=howard+coral&sn=001&sc=1000

And another cool article on hobbyist propagation activities:

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2006/3/aafeature3

If people want to donate corals, and can't make it to the August meeting, let us know, and we can figure out how to help with your donation!

Go BAR! :D :D :D

I am not 100% sure about them sending a person to pickup at ASAP. We do need to arrange a meeting day with them. If Peter comes to the meeting that would be great, otherwise I think we need to get it to them on SAT.

Bart said to let him know the date, and that August was far enough off that they should be able to schedule for it and send someone.

Those that can't make it to the meeting can try to pass the corals to someone for delivery to ASAP.

I'll set up a temporary holding tank if anybody needs me to bring their corals to the meeting.

I have 2 mini acro colonies that I'd like to donate and unsure if I'll be able to make it to the August meeting. Is it possible to donate directly to Steinhart since I live in the city?

No they won't take drop offs...Let us know closer to the meeting date and maybe one of us SF reefers can bring it to the meeting for you.

Back