Jestersix

bare bottom or substrate

FYI : There is a third choice: Pseudo-Live rock solid bottom.
Basically a solid surface, made up of live rock mixed in concrete, or concrete with aragonite.
Sometimes done on tiles, so removable.
Really just a lumpy bare bottom that coraline and other things grow on really well.
It gives the same benefits of bare bottom, but arguably looks better.
And in fact, if you think about what a real reef looks like, it is the "most natural" of all.

That said - I went with sand, but a tough decision.

I like the Bare bottom look of a tank. Won't get into the whole natural looking/non natural looking debate.

I used a black cuting board material to line the bottom of my tank. It is completely covered in corraline now and dare to say looks very "natural"

[not touch this one with a 10 foot pole]
I think they're both winners ;)
[/not touch this one with a 10 foot pole]

You can get away with all three as long as you do it the right way, so at this point it is up to your personal preferred aesthetics.

Me? Yea, I like a shallow sand bed.

Sand can look nice IF kept clean. I went bare bottom cause I find it easier to keep clean. I do enjoy the look of sand, but don't enjoy the work...

I have a 2-3 inch sand bed and want to try BB on the next tank. It's cleaner and if you arrange corals and rock properly, you don't really notice any wide swaths of uncovered flat surface.

Tamazula said:
I have a 2-3 inch sand bed and want to try BB on the next tank. It's cleaner and if you arrange corals and rock properly, you don't really notice any wide swaths of uncovered flat surface.

If you give it time you won't have any areas at all of uncovered flat surfaces. Mine has huge layers of corraline on it giving it even some texture.

This is a sweet pic from the LFS. I might consider this

Dadsrandomfolder015.jpg

Back