Cali Kid Corals

Bartlett's Anthias Pseudanthias bartlettorum Breeding

I believe my Bartlett's are spawning and the female looks like she is full of eggs. I was looking around on the Marine Breeders website and I couldn't really find any information on this species. Does anyone here have any info or can anyone point me into the right direction on were to look for information. Looking specifically for length of pregnancy and gustation period of the eggs.

Wish I could offer ideas. Good luck with the effort, I'm not aware of any/many successful captive breeding attempts of Anthias. Are you planning to isolate the "couple" in a tank where you can separate the fry once they appear? Just thinking out loud. :)

FWIW - I talked a little with Richard Ross about my anthias when they were spawning. The eggs are palagic(sp?)/free floaters. He was thinking a filter of some kind over the overflow to collect them after spawning for transport to a hatching/rearing tank.

-Gregory

GDawson said:
FWIW - I talked a little with Richard Ross about my anthias when they were spawning. The eggs are palagic(sp?)/free floaters. He was thinking a filter of some kind over the overflow to collect them after spawning for transport to a hatching/rearing tank.

-Gregory
I wish I would have done something like that when my fire shrimp perched on the top of the reef and released hundreds of what appeared to be live young into the tank. They became fish food immediately. :(

Anthias will spawn daily if they're in good condition. I caught my Randall's doing it a few times this week. In our big tank at "dusk" if you stare at the tank for more than a few minuts you'll see our lyretails create a feeding frenzy.

I hate to say it, but there is very little motivation to captively breed these fish. They have short lifespans in the wild (3-4 years), are incredibly fecund, have widespread distributions, and are not exactly rare on reefs.

Matt_Wandell said:
Anthias will spawn daily if they're in good condition. I caught my Randall's doing it a few times this week. In our big tank at "dusk" if you stare at the tank for more than a few minuts you'll see our lyretails create a feeding frenzy.

I hate to say it, but there is very little motivation to captively breed these fish. They have short lifespans in the wild (3-4 years), are incredibly fecund, have widespread distributions, and are not exactly rare on reefs.

Do the females only release some of their eggs each night, or are different females spawning each night? Or can they just produce eggs that fast?

Not_Now_John said:
Matt_Wandell said:

Do the females only release some of their eggs each night, or are different females spawning each night? Or can they just produce eggs that fast?

Hmm, good question that I don't know the answer to. Based on the girth and egg load of some female anthias, and how few they actually release during spawning, I would strongly suspect that they can spawn every single night. It is certainly possible in many other fish species.

Back