Kessil

Battlestar Archelia Problem

Yesterday my Battlestar Archelia (?) looked like this:

Unknown12-26-09.jpg

Today when I got home, this is what I found:

BattlestarArchelia3-8-10.jpg

It is covered in jelly / slime, turned white and, I am afraid, it is a goner. Any ideas what could cause this?
(All other corals are fine. Haven't added anything since the last swap.)

I have the same one... It's almost a goner!

You can save it by doing the following:

Sip in revive and rinse it quickly so you loose the dead tissue.

Water chem and underfeeding is the main problem. Feed it by giving it mysis or flake food or anything it will grab!

It looks like it was just nuked and lost a battle with a neighboring coral. some corals can send out Mesenterial Filaments and they basically destroy all it touches. I've seen them reach several inches away from the parent. Note; these are not sweeper testicles. What are all the corals within say..4" of that coral?
Amy7.jpg

Gomer said:
It looks like it was just nuked and lost a battle with a neighboring coral. some corals can send out Mesenterial Filaments and they basically destroy all it touches. I've seen them reach several inches away from the parent. Note; these are not sweeper testicles. What are all the corals within say..4" of that coral?

Within 4 " have mushrooms, zoa, polyps and candy cane.
It has been there for a while with no issues.

Safety is an illusion with some corals :p Orange Crush is an example...perfect tenant for a year..then it nukes its neighbor a few inches away because it got a stick up its ass.

Mushrooms ime have a killer sting and if it could reach it by expanding, that could have done it.
I'd also suspect any LPS. HAven't seen a CC send out filiments, but my experience is limited. I'm speculating that all LPS have that capability.

Shrooms can sting badly...

The problem is the Archelia has really long tentacles and can reach that far and sting or get stung. But this happens due to water quality and/or starvation. It requires direct feeding. Mine is holding on, but I had the same issue... Tissue on the skeleton is gone mostly but recovering as long as the polyps have testicles it can eat with.

from the 2 pics it looks like when it was healthly, there are no mushrooms around, then in the 2nd pic the shoom actualy looks to be touching the base, did you move this recently? When were the shooms added?

Roc said:
from the 2 pics it looks like when it was healthly, there are no mushrooms around, then in the 2nd pic the shoom actualy looks to be touching the base, did you move this recently? When were the shooms added?

Yes, I moved it about 1-1/2 months ago.
Yes, the shrooms are touching the base in the picture.
The shrooms were added almost one year ago.

Whadda you think Gresh, how potent are Archelia nematocysts? IME galaxia types beat down just about anything, I realize we're talking about completely different genus, but I'm not convinced that a shroom placed within a short shot stands a chance, I mean you'd really have to put a large shroom right next to the battlestar smothering it to get such a reaction, the coral just bailed. Having said that it does look like it got stung just due to the "cocoon" of necrotic tissue on the battlestar's skeleton.

Honestly I don't think a shroom could take one down. I do agree it looks like it was taken out and not by "brown jelly".

Back