Cali Kid Corals

Battling Ich

Thales said:
GreshamH said:
Euphyllia said:
Lots of people say that the No-Ich reef safe stuff doesn't work well, but it worked really well for me when I started the hobby and had one or two issues with ich. It is a bit expensive and you have to use a lot of it if you have a big reef tank, but luckily for me I was using it in a 14g at the time. I had some left over, but I did follow-up doses every few days until it and the ich was all gone.

So because your Ich went away and you put said magic potion in the water it must be what caused it to go away?? You should have sat in on Rich's talk at BAYMAC ;)

None of the 'reef safe' ich treatments do anything at all - its been shown again and again. There are only two, possibly three, proven treatments for crypto - hyposalinity, copper and Chloroquine. If something else worked, food fish fisheries would be using it, and they aren't. :D People like to use them because the are 'easy to understand' and buying them makes you feel like you are doing something to help.

The talk Gresh mentions was born out of an article that will be in Manhattan Reefs reefs magazine due to publish on the web very soon. It goes over a lot of the faulty reasoning behind ich 'treatments'. If it isn't posted soon, and someone reminds me, I can post the text of it here if anyone is interested.

Darn. I guess than means I wasted lots of money. :(
But at least I know it now opposed to later. :)

Back