High Tide Aquatics

Bayer Advanced Complete Insect Killer bug spray…to treat red bugs and other pests.

I read a post by BMhair03 (Brian) on using Bayer Advanced Complete Insect Killer bug spray to treat red bugs and other pests. I thought it was worth reading as a possible treatment for those who do not have access to Interceptor.

http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/f69/plan-b-redbugs-other-pests-63009/

There's also a link to a RC thread in there.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1965880

I first saw it at Neptune's and ask about it . Then read up on it in the different forums.
I was in the process of starting a new setup and wanted to have SPS corals so I started up a QT tank and bought some Coral RX.
Having run all corals through this system , and passing a visual inspection I thought I was good. :(
Two weeks ago while looking at a deep water frag I got from AC I saw red spots"bugs" on 2 of my other corals. I'm guilty of overfeeding Cycoleeze, So I figured that it was just stuck to the corals. Wrong, they moved.
So realizing what I was doing wasn't working I decided to try Bayer Advanced Complete .
And this stuff kills red bugs.
I dipped all my non-encrusted corals and it cleared house.
I dipped all types, Tort,echinata,Millepora,Granulosa,Simplix Humilis.etc
All the corals survived and had PE within 15 min of being back in tank.It has been a week since I started and still all looking good . I'm removing the encrusted coral now since it seems to be worth it.
I went with a dosage of 2.5m/l to 2 cups of tank water dipped and stirred for 15 Min's .Then rinsed in fresh tank water.
Good thing was there wasn't any AEFW killed so I'm glad something was stopped by my previous product .I read this stuff kills AEFW on contact so you'd know right away if there were any. Only the 2 corals I first spotted them on had any bugs ,so hopefully this keeps them in check.
If your interested in using it to pre-treat or have bugs already:( read up on it until you feel comfortable using it . It looks promising. I know it wont get rid of all of them in the Display but the coral seem to be a lot happier without the bugs . I dont have the time or resources to do a tank treatment right now so the 15 min dips will have to do for now.
I feel like the kid in school with lice. :(
I hate Bugs!!
Happy Hunting .

edit:spelling

I did not see any killed in my dips,but there are pictures and some posts about it on RC .I don't have any signs of AEFW so either I don't have any or the dip doesn't kill them. It states the active ingredient is the same as whats found in long term flea drops for pets. The topic on RC seems to have the most info .Also heard a rumor that Neptune's did a side by side test against other "brands" and there was no comparison, the Bayer out cleaned. And at $14 for 32+oz. its cost efficient. I used 5 m/l per treatment.
There is also a post towards the end of the RC topic from the one and only Tuberider.

Yes that's one of the forum topics I referred to.
I'm just passing on info I read and hope people will make their own decisions.
Page 2-3 of the above link is where they reference AEFW.
I was using the product for Red Bugs not AEFW so I can not confirm the above reference.
Just of it killing red bugs and all other bystanders .
Thanks again for posting the link.

Here's what I used

DSCN2175.jpg

One key point mentioned in the various threads is that the product is available in both concentrate and ready-to-use strengths. It's very important to make sure that you are using the correct dosing if you plan to use this. There was at least one tale of some using the concentrate with ready-to-use dosing. The results were predictably disastrous.

gimmito said:
There's pics of it on the link BAYMAC provided....the thread is a good read also.
My concern was exactly what bondolo mentioned above.
There are the concentrate and ready-to-use version. I've seen some with germ killer and some without.
I think I saw 6 or 7 different types of Bayer Advanced on that thread and wasn't sure which one to pick... lol
I can see that Brian has used the concentrate version without the germ killer and I'd rather stick with the experience of someone I know and have used it.

Lol. Thats why I keep saying READ the thread, and not just do this... I finally took notes to figure out what was what.
I was just as skeptic and cautious as anyone. It is very confusing. Everytime I reread the thread I get confused as to what dosage.Luckily I wrote it on the bottle.

This stuff don't kill AEFW that well. We soaked tested this by dipping an infected colony in a milky white solution and 10 mins later the AEFW still alive. But, after 30 mins later...they did started to die though. With CoralRx or Revive, they died right away. That's why when we dip all incoming new pieces, we use Bayer and Revive as two separate dips. Hope this help.

Jim...I used about about a cap full for every gallon. Sometime even two with no ill effect. I typically dip for about 15 mins....for SPS only though.

For LPS and everything else, I used Revive or CoralRx.

Back