Our mission

BAYMAC2012 - The BAR Take Over - May 12th, 2012

G

As some of you may know, I have been threatening to turn BAYMAC over to BAR for some time now. In fact, it was my plan all along, well, pretty much all along :D

BAYMAC got it's start with a call from Max Tran (formally Mermaid Aquatics & The Aquarium Showroom - founder & owner) that he wanted me to put on a reef conference and he had a free venue I could use. I didn't bite, sounded like volunteer work not only with out a team (it was, and is, and that's why it works) but I lacked the vision at the time. It took a few more calls for me to realize what I could do. I could start an event that would showcase Cali reef businesses, bring the clubs together and get new people into the hobby. With free admission I knew I could hit all three of those points. I called Max up and within a month BAYMAC was on. The next one didn't wait a year, I wanted to adjust the calender to be in Spring, not fall. When it came time to plan BAYMAC2010 I found out we no longer had the same venue. I pretty much tossed in the towel but with friendly verbal abuse... I mean, with the MAJOR support of the BAR BOD, BAYMAC2010 not only found a new home, it met it's soon to be host. This was perfect for me, BAYMAC could go on and BAR would get a bigger taste of what it takes. BAYMAC2010 was a total success and BAR really delivered (as did all the volunteers). I knew then it was only a matter of a year or two that BAR could do BAYMAC on it's on. BAYAMC2011 hasn't even taken place and all ready BAR has shown me I really it can handle the event and more.

Next year I will still help book the event and take care of some of the details, but BAYMAC after this event if officially 100% a BAR production. I hope to see it grow into a multi day conference attracting people from all over the US and beyond.

Thanks for all your support BAR, with out you and Max Tran BAYMAC would never have been :)

And yes, Mother's Day weekend for BAYMAC2012 :( It really is the best date given other events. Later in the month is InterZoo in Germany and a good chunk of US manufacturers head to that event (largest pet trade show on the planet... MASSIVE). If we waited till the weekend after Mothers Day most those manufacturers would be on the road or just getting on the road to Germany. 1st weekend is out, just a bad weekend to do events (rent/bills = broke people)

Is that kind of marriage even legal in this state?! ;)

I did not know that BAYMAC has such a short history. This weekend will be my first aquarium conference (I entered the hobby in the fall) and I thought that I was going to walk into a tradition spanning generations of conference goers. No seriously, I'm glad to see that the conference has so much potential to expand, and I'm looking forward to tomorrow.

Alex, a couple years ago I went and took some rotifers. I didn't get rid of all of those, and I'm pretty sure the culture I have today has been going that long, meaning the ones I might bring tomorrow are direct descendents of the ones that attended 2 years ago. If one considers these both to be "conference goers", then quite literally it is possible to say that BAYMAC is a tradition spanning tens, if not hundreds, of thousands of generations! :) ... just don't let anyone ask, "generations of what?".

Back