got ethical husbandry?

BBQ info request

I work with a barbecue fanatic so he's gotten me thinking about getting one for the house - geez one more hobby and thing to spend money on right - sigh.....

Recommendations for charcoal grill(s)? Recipes (hint, hint Norman)? Accessories?

Oooh cool! :)

For slow cooked bbq, get the Weber Smokey Mountain. BBQ people call it the Bullet. Check out http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/ for a ton of good info. With Q, it's more about method and feel than it is about recipe. I'll get some method/recipe info to you.

For grilling, get a 22" Weber One Touch charcoal grill. I have 3 of those myself. Between the 3 grills, the bullet, an offset smoker, concrete block pit, (and even a Weber Baby Q gas grill... ugh, ugh... gas) I have a range of backyard cooking options.

Hmmm... we gots to talk food... Q, grilling, baking, desserts, kitchen, whatever. Some of the more interesting stuff I've done for outdoor cooking... Peking duck, Cantonese roast duck, roasted baby pig like about 4 times in the concrete pit, grilled turkey like a gabillion times, leg of lamb also a gabillion times.... I have a recipe/process for dry aged grilled prime rib that I've done(half a gabillion times)... that one won 2nd place at the Beef Cookoff at the Alameda County Fair.

Tons of tips... tons of bogus tips out there too.... I'll post stuff as it comes to mind. Q is like Apple/Windows/Linux religious wars, though! :)

I got a gas grill, just because of the convenience - I use mine at least 3-4 times a week! I went nuts a bought the 52" Grand Turbo from BBQ's Galore, and the Rotisserie is the best thing since sliced bread IMO! As for recipies I just fly by the seat of my pants ;)

Sorry the ex-Texan in me is coming out.

Remember there is a huge difference between BBQ and grilling.

BBQ usually involves a long slow process over several hours or several days even.

Grilling usually is what you do when you cook burgers and dogs or a steak.

On a side note if anyone knows of a good BBQ place out here please tell me I have been dying for some since I left Texas and the few places I have found just don't cut it.

Heheh.. grilling is definately NOT Q, but I like both :)

I use the bullet for slow cooked ribs, brisket, and pork shoulder. The 3 kettles are for everything else :)

Not grilling or Q, but I've also babysat a smoker for 48 hours when cold smoking a home made prosciutto :p~

No kidding, and when you do find it, it's some crazy high price.

Try Smart & Final. Some of us have picked it up there for a good price.

Also, I don't like brisket flat. Just the point.

seminolecpa, Ever tried Armadillo Willys? They are in the south bay where I work, but I live in SF. Mayeb I can bring some to a meeting one day. SWAP BBQ for coral : )

http://www.armadillowillys.com/

Yep. They have one in Foster City. It is fair. Best I have had here has been Big Nates or Brother in Laws..... Still no comparison to home made.

I asked one of the meat department guys at safeway about brisket and he looked at me like I was speaking a foreign language.

seminolecpa said:
I asked one of the meat department guys at safeway about brisket and he looked at me like I was speaking a foreign language.
Yep, you're lucky he didn't hand you a slab of corned beef :)

Try the latin meat markets. You can get cool stuff like beef tongue there. THe old SuperKmart between Oakland and Alameda had for the latin customers.... tripe, chitlins, beef tongue, brisket. I used to pick up stuff there.

sfsuphysics said:
BBQing & Grilling might be different, but barbeque is a noun and represents the cooking device, put the ing after it to turn it into a verb :)
Hey Mike, if you think DSB vs. Bare Bottom is funny, you have to follow all the BBQ debate threads.

BBQ'ing vs. Grilling
Brisket vs. Shoulder
Sauce vs. No Sauce
Sugar vs. No Sugar
The Proper Way to Do Ribs
Lump vs. Charcoal
Wet Wood vs. Dry Wood
Foil vs. No Foil
Boiled(!!!??!) vs. Not Boiled (for the total newbies) :)

Speaking of the debate -

I decided to make oven-cooked ribs on Easter Sunday - six hours at 225 - I had to par-boil first. It was okay, but I sure miss the bbq/smoke/char taste.

Brother-In-Laws is pretty good. There's another place in Pleasanton that is not bad either (they cater as well)

Side Note: Once the 120g is setup, I'm contemplating of putting sand back into my 58g. <gasp>

I've got the perfect thing for the extra sand.

Those of us that run weber bullets have a cool mod for better temperature stability, and lower rate of charcoal/lump usage. We replace the stock water pan with a larger one used for Brinkman(I think) smokers. Then we fill the pan with Playsand and cover with a couple/three layers of foil.

The sand acts as a heat ballast to dampen temperature fluctuations. Also, without the water evaporating, you can close down the dampers for slower rate of burn. Ribs at 5-6 hours are embarrassingly easy as far as temp control. And you can do 9 hour shoulders and 14 hour briskets without a whole lot more fussing with fuel and dampers.

Damn ugly. My shoulders take 18 hours on my offset.

did you say boiled ribs? UGGGGGGHHHHH..... If you can't render the fat in the Q don't even bother.

If we have the potluck I'll bring my margarita pulled pork. A little sweet but EVERYONE loves it.

You should try the Big Green Egg. I sure wish I could afford one of those.

Back