BBQ Meetup

Discussion in 'Wouldn't it be good if...?' started by kinetic, Oct 31, 2007.

1. kinetic

kinetic Webmaster

BBQ Meetup
    Date: December 1st, 2007
    Time: 11:30am
    Place: Johara Chapman's House in Alameda, CA (exact address will be pm'd)
    Cost: Please bring $3 to cover for BBQ and other costs! Thanks guys.
    Description:
    This will be a very informal for fun get together. It will hopefully feature a few great barbeque masters and a lot of good food. We would like to tie this together with any coral trading and propagation, and some mini informal workshops. Throughout the day we will be hopefully be playing Blue Planet or some other related or unrelated movie / series. A few of us will organize some little informal workshop sessions. We'd like everyone to either bring some food (sign up) or pitch in with some money to cover costs of what is being cooked.

Videos
    Blue Planet - Anybody have this who can bring it to the BBQ?
    Planet Earth - Very cool video also from BBC. I can bring this series, it has interesting ocean episodes.

Workshops

Photography - Bring your photo equipment and questions! We're not pros nor experts, but we can give a few tips and pointers. We'll probably briefly go over how to shoot Full Tank Shots, fish, and coral with a different array of cameras. Best to bring yours so we can try it out on Johara's tank.

Fragging - We may do a quick frag session, but I'll need a volunteer to organize and coordinate this. I can bring a dremel with diamond wheel, more would be better.

Who's Coming (updated here)
    kinetic (art) - bringing planet earth, dremel, and camera gear
    johara (johara) - bringing the HOUSE!
    Paradox (daniel) - utensils, napkins, and cups
    Ibn (eric) - bringing Blue Planet, Dremel, camera stuff
    Mr. Ugly (norman) - bringing ribs, turkey, and diamond tile saw
    nukeproof - Condiments (ketchup, relish, mustard, etc.)
    raddogz (eileen) - salad
    cwolfus (charles) - bringing frags, potluck stuff, camera
    TimTen (Tim) - bringing Soda's and Water
    LeviTillie - Dessert
    xinumaster (perry) - bag of chips and dip
    tuberider - warm potato salad spiced with tonga monti
    mri1sf - appetizer + water bottles
    seminolecpa (bryan) - dessert
    Apon (arnold) - Fried Rice or Chow Mein
    Thales (rich) - Drinks (coordinate with Tim on drinks)
    dswong (dudley) - hot dogs / links and buns
    Gresham - appetizer
    sfsuphysics - hamburger patties and buns

2. iani

iani Guest

What time is this going till. I am working that day. :(

3. Paradox

Paradox Guest

I can come. Hopefully someone can help me figure out how to take a decent picture!

4. Ibn

Ibn Supporting Member

Is there any fee to defer some of the costs (food has got to cost something...)?

I've got a copy of Blue Planet that I can bring along (should look fine if it's not being played on a HDTV). I'll bring the camera equipment and some fragging stuff along (Dremel, diamond wheels, scalpels, etc.).

5. kinetic

kinetic Webmaster

[quote author=Ibn link=topic=2544.msg26298#msg26298 date=1193853741]
    Is there any fee to defer some of the costs (food has got to cost something...)?

I've got a copy of Blue Planet that I can bring along (should look fine if it's not being played on a HDTV). I'll bring the camera equipment and some fragging stuff along (Dremel, diamond wheels, scalpels, etc.).
    [/quote]

Hey Eric,

If you're not planning on bringing food, we should definitely try to help cover the cost of the food brought. I'll be organizing that as soon as we have a menu on hand ;) I'll probably get that rolling later, unless someone wants to take charge of food?

Awesome, thanks for bringing blue planet =)

You can help run the photography workshop thing too! I was hoping you could come and help out =)

6. zepplock

zepplock Guest

I would like to come if anyone wants to share a ride from South San Jose.
    I could drive if you drive me to next BAR meeting ;-)

7. Mr. Ugly

Mr. Ugly Past President

I'll be there.

Tentatively bringing ribs, and maybe a grilled turkey :D

If people need help fragging big stuff, I'll bring a diamond tile saw.

8. iani

iani Guest

damm, maybe I should change around my work schedule a bit. haha

9. Ibn

Ibn Supporting Member

Ah, missed the part about the pot luck. Very similar to the tank tour then.

Change your schedule, Ian. :D

10. johara

johara Guest

Oooh fun! Maybe I'll finally learn to get some decent shots of my tank! It's a 155 bowfront - a photography challenge. I'll try hard to avoid a crash between now and then.

eric: No worries about the HDTV - I don't have one.

Norman - pm me if you want to discuss coordinating BBQ

I'll have povidine iodine on hand for dips if needed.

iani: I think we're planning to hang out until 5:00 or so if interest lasts.

If anyone knows how to catch nocturnal hairy crabs living in acropora colonies please bring your knowhow and crab-catching equipment!!!

11. nukeproof

nukeproof Guest

Count me in.

12. kinetic

kinetic Webmaster

[quote author=johara link=topic=2544.msg26317#msg26317 date=1193863040]
    Oooh fun! Maybe I'll finally learn to get some decent shots of my tank! It's a 155 bowfront - a photography challenge. I'll try hard to avoid a crash between now and then. [/quote]

Yes, avoiding a crash would be ideal ;) Bowfront should be fun. I used to have a bowfront and took fine shots through it, just have to be careful of angles.

13. kinetic

kinetic Webmaster

I may be able to bring a projector and screen... would that be something we'd be interested in?

14. Raddogz

Raddogz Guest

Cool I would like to see what your 155g bowfront has so I can get some ideas for the one at work.

Art - I'm in for the potluck

15. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

:( Another date that I can't do :( I'll be in NY yet again! Sounds fun though :)

16. kinetic

kinetic Webmaster

[quote author=GreshamH link=topic=2544.msg26324#msg26324 date=1193870043]
    :( Another date that I can't do :( I'll be in NY yet again! Sounds fun though :)
    [/quote]

oh darn, that sucks! we'll have to do it again soon then. Hope your trip (business?) goes well.

17. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

[quote author=kinetic link=topic=2544.msg26325#msg26325 date=1193870726]
    [quote author=GreshamH link=topic=2544.msg26324#msg26324 date=1193870043]
    [/quote]

Hope your trip (business?) goes well.
    [/quote]

Always business with pleasure mixed in :) I spend a day at the event, a few visiting local stores and nights with reef club friends in the area.

Now I want BBQ darn you :(

18. cwolfus

cwolfus Past President

Cool! Count me in if there is still room. I'm up for bringing frags, potluck, and my camera.

19. TimTen

TimTen Guest

Sounds great, count me in. I will bring some soda's and water.

20. LeviT

LeviT Guest

I'm in! Let me know if there is something I can bring. TriTip is always good. :)