Jestersix

Beginner Frag Donations for New Hobbyist Event

Is xenia and GSP taking over your tank? Is it due for a trim? What do you do with all that excess? Throw it away?

Now there's something you can do with all those beginner level corals! And its for a good cause...helping new hobbyists get hooked on the coral addiction! :)

At the New Hobbyist Workshop on April 12th, we'd like to offer frag packs of beginner corals to any attendee who decides to become a BAR member. The club is always looking for new membership, and some free corals are always a good incentive and a great way to help new hobbyists get started with some easy corals. For this to happen, we need BAR members to donate frags for the event. As a bit of incentive for you all to donate, we'll be giving away a raffle ticket for each frag you donate! For example, if you donate 5 frags, you get 5 raffle tickets. Those raffle tickets will be for some awesome prizes, such as gift cards! The only way to get tickets for these raffles will be to donate frags (you can't buy the raffle tickets!), so bring lots of frags.

• Bring the frags the day of the event (April 12th). Drop them off before the event starts at 12:30 in order to receive raffle tickets.
  • Please pack each frag in its own deli-type container with a label. The label should say the name of the coral and some basic care instructions.
  • Any beginner, easy to care for coral frags are great! Examples: GSP, xenia, mushrooms, easy zoas and palys, clove polyps, kenya tree, etc.
Wouldn't you have loved to get some free beginner corals when you were just starting out in the hobby? Let's all be generous and help encourage some new membership in the club!

I wanted to announce that the raffle prizes will be 4 $40 gift certificates to Aqua Exotic!

Last edited:
Anyone going to the Reef Raft opening or coming near modesto before the event? I've got some pulsing xenia on my overfolw that I have been meaning to do something with and it going to someone new to the hobby would be great. Or does anyone have any tips on fragging this stuff? Mainly the how to attach it to something. It's on a tiny little rock that I stuck up there a few months ago.

Anyone going to the Reef Raft opening or coming near modesto before the event? I've got some pulsing xenia on my overfolw that I have been meaning to do something with and it going to someone new to the hobby would be great. Or does anyone have any tips on fragging this stuff? Mainly the how to attach it to something. It's on a tiny little rock that I stuck up there a few months ago.
I am going to the opening, but unfortunately, I don't have anywhere to hold corals until the event. Maybe if someone will be near you right before the event they can pick it up.

I looked things over and should be able to make it. Just need to know how to frag this stuff at this point. I know I can just cut it but is there a good way to get it to attach to something, or can they be glued?

Perfect! We really appreciate the donations! Xenia is a bit tricky, but there are a couple ways you can do it. It is possible to glue it, but its super hard and doesn't always work, so I'd probably avoid that option. One interesting trick is to take a wood or plastic toothpick and stick it through the base of a stalk of xenia before you cut the frag. Then cut that stalk away from the rest, so that the toothpick is still stuck through its base. Then, lay the base of the xenia on a frag plug with the toothpick sticking out over the sides of the plug on both sides. Take a rubberband and use it and the ends of the toothpick to attach the xenia snuggly to the frag plug. There are quite a few similar methods using toothpicks and rubberbands. Just google "How to frag xenia".

I have these pretty "glass anemones" I can donate .... :rolleyes:

I will try to frag some branching hammer this week some time.

I'll bring some discosoma mushrooms, as much idaho grape purple monti as you can handle (I have a couple of square feet of it I could frag up) and at least two birdsnest frags.

I made some frags last night. Most seem happy.

frags.JPG

Back