Cali Kid Corals

Benefit of Booster pump

Well sort of if you have too low pressure you won't filter as much water thus wasting more water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks. Video shows booster pump leads to cleaner rodi water (lower tds), and speedup production. So does look I can benefit.

Now curious whether it saves water. It does not say anything about improvement in rodi water to waste water ratio.

Just came across this "Increasing the pressure requires adjusting the flow restrictor to maintain the 4-to-1 ratio the membrane needs to keep clean." This implies I should not try to save water by aiming for the reduction to the ratio.

My current ratio is 3-1, so will need to find this flow restrictor to open up the waste line a bit wider.

Last edited:
Your good water will have higher TDs since you are pushing it beyond the recommended 4:1

Last edited:
So u mean higher pressure leads to lower waste to rodi water ratio (unless I adjust flow restrictor to keep ratio at 4-1)? If so, yeah technically booster pump does lead to less water wasted, though at expense of leaving more dirt on the membrane instead of carried away by waste water.

Since I reuse waste water, I should adjust flow restrictor to maintain the 4-1 ratio, I think.

Your good water will have higher TDs sincere you STE pushing it beyond the recommended 4:1

So weird. I get 0 TDS with only a pressure of 25. Wonder why?
Think of it this way if you are pushing higher pressure water through a membrane rated at 98% for 4:1 ratio now you are pushing more water through you will have more break through correct? The membrane couldn't filter as well.

Lower pressure the rejection is higher cause the membrane is catching most of the filter particles.

Just like you can pressure wash a towel more crap comes off it.

So weird. I get 0 TDS with only a pressure of 25. Wonder why?
Broken TDS meter? Broken pressure gauge? Pressure taken at place in house where it's artificially restricted? Very low TDS to start with?

The video Vincent posted basically shows you that the specs of RO membranes (99% rejection) is at certain operating parameters that are well beyond what, but if you had sub 50 TDS from the tap, it's not terribly surprising to get a reading of "0"

Anybody already using booster pump can comment on if the float valve continue to work well?

In addition to making rodi water, i want to use the booster pump to feed rodi water to ato container via a 1/4" OD tubing and a float valve.

Broken TDS meter? Broken pressure gauge? Pressure taken at place in house where it's artificially restricted? Very low TDS to start with?

The video Vincent posted basically shows you that the specs of RO membranes (99% rejection) is at certain operating parameters that are well beyond what, but if you had sub 50 TDS from the tap, it's not terribly surprising to get a reading of "0"

I double check the TDS meter on the RO unit (which is brand new) with a handheld. Pressure taken is on the RO unit. House TDS is 150ish.

You got to have a little TDs out of membrane cause you should get 1% worth of TDs from 150 TDs. 1.5tds after membrane.

Guys, I thought I understood but reading this thread again I realized I am still foggy.

1. Using booster pump will lower waster water to clean water ratio?

2. If I use booster pump to elevate incoming water pressure from 48 psi (what I have now) to 70 psi, AND I adjust flow restrictor so that the waste to clean water ratio remains at 4:1 ratio (assuming today I am this desired 4:1 ratio), I will not save any water, since my waste water is still the same ratio to the clean water I get, right? Also in this case higher pressure will move more TDS through the membrane into clean RODI water, so I actually get dirtier RODI water? Strange that the BRS video shows higher pressure leads to lower TDS, not more TDS?

3. Is the flow restrictor part of a standard RODI system? I have the BRS 5 stages with a pressure switch (which shuts off drain line when the clean RODI water line is shut by float valve. There is another valve used for backglush the system - is that the flow restrictor or something completely different?

A flow restrictor in brs system is a thin tube you stick inside a rodi tube. Other systems have a actual needle valve which is the one that came with my system. Without these floor restrictor you are going to get 0 good water cause everything flows to least resistance.

1 yes
2 kind of. You get more TDS out of ro, but di will still get it to 0
You can probably reduce waste down to 2.5-3:1 safely, but the real thing to do is double up membrane w a booster pump so waste output from first one goes to input for second one. Booster pump is needed to keep pressur high.
3 the flush valve likely has your flow restrictor in it. Match that to the size of your membrane. Should be listed in ml per min.

I have a booster pump. It said not to use it if the water pressure is above 80psi. My water supply is above 80 psi. I wasted my money and never installed it.

What I found actually useful was to use a real brass connection on the water line instead of the needle-saddle valve. That alone increase my RODI production immensely.

V

Back