Reef nutrition

Bennett’s 57G Rimless

Hey Bennett, nice looking tank. I can't reply via PM here--try shooting me an email at mwandell@calacademy.org. We can use your blue thumb.

Thanks, Matt

Final picture before the tank comes down. I will be moving early next month. I am not sure if I will be setting this up at my new place. The rocks have A LOT of bubble algae. Since I'm moving, one of my option is to start fresh again with my 57g.

1st option: With all the bubble algae on the rocks, I can trim off all of the corals and place them on the new rocks. Even if I start fresh and transfer the corals back to the new rocks with the new water, there is still a high risk of developing bubble algae again. I'm debating if it's worth the effort.

2nd option: Deal with the bubble algae.

3rd option: Sell the entire system

IMG_0498.JPG

The tank is finally settling down in the new home. The tank was looking bad the first couple of months after the move. During the move, I lost quite a few piece. I thought I was going to eliminate some rocks and re-scape the entire rock work for a cleaner look. After visiting a few LFS, I decided that I was able to fill those empty spaces with corals. I gave up on removing the bubble algae. I have a huge emerald crab in there eating the bubble algae away, but I think the bubble algae is reproducing much quicker than the crab can handle. I'll just need to live with it. I might consider a rabbitfish when I upgrade to a 100g.

Here are some updated shots:

FTS:

I remember seeing one of these at JAR's house at the tank tour, I had to pick one up.

Found these tiny tine Percs at Aquatic Collections.

Things are looking great! Seems that you and all the tank inhabitants are enjoying the new home.

I seem to recall you had a percula (or a pair) hosting in the euphyllia on the left side?

lattehiatus said:
Things are looking great! Seems that you and all the tank inhabitants are enjoying the new home.
I seem to recall you had a percula (or a pair) hosting in the euphyllia on the left side?

Good memory. I had an ocellaris clown hosting the frogspawn few months ago. It decided to commit suicide.

Coral reefer said:
Glad it's back on track! Got that 90 sitting around...

I'll hold off for now. I have a little one coming. Maybe in a few years....lol

screebo said:
Nice, Bennett!

Nice, Bennett!

Kensington Reefer said:
Tank looks happy. Good luck with that wrasse. That species is very difficult.

That's what I'm worried about. It jumped out of the tank while I was watching TV, I was able to scoop it back in. I've had it for about a week now, I hope it will survive. It's not eating any dry food.

Tank crash update. I know, not a fun one. One of the heaters exploded in my sump. The electrical cord was dangling in my sump. The cap of the heater popped off along with the red dial. The internals spilled out from the top of the heater housing. The bad news is that I lost all of my SPS corals. The good news, all of the fish, LPS, and zoas/palys survived. I’m not sure where to go from here. The remaining corals are not looking 100% yet, not even 80%. I might keep this as a LPS and softy tank only. I will also slowly add nice zoas and palys to the tank..

I rarely take any pictures of my tank. Somehow I was lucky enough to take a few camera phone pictures a week or so before the crash.

2vni15y.jpg

2lc8mjr.jpg

2u60aqg.jpg

Night after the crash, this is what I came from work to.

2iid1s5.jpg

Now.

57hic.jpg

And I can help out as well. I know you came by and looked in mine but shortly after that I had some issues. All is good now and tank is doing great so once you feel comfortable I'll donate to ya

650-IS350 said:
Wow sorry to hear bro. If you need Z's and P's Holla.....

I backed up a lot of my z's and p's in my frag tank. I'll let you know when my tank is ready again.

tankguy said:
And I can help out as well. I know you came by and looked in mine but shortly after that I had some issues. All is good now and tank is doing great so once you feel comfortable I'll donate to ya

Thanks. I remember you had some nice ones.

Back