Reef nutrition

Berghia

patchin

Supporting Member
I spoke with the guy from CL who is selling Berghia for $15. I'm not that knowledgeable about them. I have quite a few aiptasia in my 50 ga. I've tried peppermint shrimp, but they end up being dinner for my clowns, so they're a waste of money. The guy said I should buy at least 3, so I have a chance of them breeding, cause one or two wouldn't really eat much and I would need several generations to eat their way out of my problem.
I've tried kalk paste without much success. They seem to come right back. Can I get some feedback from you guys? Thanks

Steve

I have had luck using aptasia x but I've only had a few aptasia pop up here and there . I once bought 3 or so berghia's and after a 2 hour acclimation.....I put into low flow area of tank and.........Wham...Wham ...Wham.... my fish had three little snacks :(

Never tried them again......I suppose introducing them with lights out would have been a better attempt :p

IMO/IME waste of money. They are no "reef" animals per say and can't survive in "reef" conditions (high flow, stinging corals). They need less flow. Things will eat them in reefs as well if they get too close. Total waste of money.

Peppermints are the way. Sounds like to me you introduced them 1) while they were stressed (most fish and animals will key into this and attach) 2) probably did it during lights on 3) probably too small

I suggest picking up one or two of the larger ORA peppermints.

These the clowns your trying to find a home for?

No, these are some of Robin's clowns. I tried 3 peps from Robert. Put them in with lights on, IIRC, and never saw them again. Didn't really see them get eaten, but.......

Crustaceans are poor acclimators and typically when place in aquaria, they send out "I'm dyeing" signals that all marine life pick up on. Shrimp should be put in late at night, and in the dark. I like to first introduce them to my sump for a few days, then they are fully acclimated when I put them in the DT.

Person that got you the shrimp doesn't matter, it only matters they are in fact the correct one. ORA you won;t go wrong. They are only breeding one type.

thanks for the words of wisdom. I could put one of my rocks in the sump with the peps and then move them to the DT later.

GreshamH said:
Crustaceans are poor acclimators and typically when place in aquaria, they send out "I'm dyeing" signals that all marine life pick up on. Shrimp should be put in late at night, and in the dark. I like to first introduce them to my sump for a few days, then they are fully acclimated when I put them in the DT.

Person that got you the shrimp doesn't matter, it only matters they are in fact the correct one. ORA you won;t go wrong. They are only breeding one type.

Learned the same lesson the hard way.....9 shrimp....9 expensive snacks for my psycho anthias.

-Gregory

Anthias and shrimp are a risky deal either way. Think of them as bass.

GreshamH said:
Peppermints are the way. Sounds like to me you introduced them 1) while they were stressed (most fish and animals will key into this and attach) 2) probably did it during lights on 3) probably too small

This. I tried this many times and it always worked. I also have Robin's clowns btw.
I would suggest 1 peppermint per 10g of volume.

Back