Kessil

BEST DAY EVAR! :D

Sure. I'll take lots of pictures, but I'm guessing that the camera may not be able to focus on them.
My mom is encouraging me to rear these, so I might. I remember that Robin said I should wait for a bit so that I won't disturb them, but I am wondering how it would disturb them. I can see how it would disturb them if I removed the rock and tried to hatch the babies in the rearing tank, but if I collected the fry at the top using a flash light and a soup bowl I don't see how it would disturb the parents, so I'm a bit confused. Will collecting the fry from the top disturb the parents or is there something else that I'm overlooking. :~

I haven't done it, but I don't believe collecting the fry after they've hatched will disturb the parents. It's the fact that many/most? breeders remove the substrate with the eggs attached to them that can disturb new parents and put them off the spawn.

Congrats. Your video is great--its nice to see you so excited about your tank and fish, especially after all the trouble you've had. Your video reminds of this guy--which I'm sure you've seen before:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEqwKNNQBwc

BTW, for all the adults out there, this weird dude is the most popular internet character in the world right (check out the # of hits) and currently has a $20 million movie deal right now. Makes you feel old and out of touch with the youngins, doesnt it? Also, makes you wonder what kids are on nowadays to like this stuff.

Anyways, Euphyllia, you should check out MOFIB's clownfish breeding page.
http://www.marinebreeder.org/phpbb/viewforum.php?f=169

Tons of great info there as well as other people currently trying to breed clownfish.
Good luck with raising these little guys (even if you don't make any money it will definitely be worth your time in the experience and knowledge you will gain). Also, show us more videos of you flipping out. That's gold Jerry, pure Gold!

Stuck at home sick on a Friday night but your video kept the last 15 minutes interesting. Nice pair of clowns. If you successfully raise them, I'll buy a pair or two off you ;) You can use that money to get a tripod so you can tape yourself stabbing bristleworms. That'd make for an interesting video!

Keep up the good work

Hmm....interesting choice of music to go with some of your videos...

patrickb said:
Congrats. Your video is great--its nice to see you so excited about your tank and fish, especially after all the trouble you've had. Your video reminds of this guy--which I'm sure you've seen before:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEqwKNNQBwc

BTW, for all the adults out there, this weird dude is the most popular internet character in the world right (check out the # of hits) and currently has a $20 million movie deal right now. Makes you feel old and out of touch with the youngins, doesnt it? Also, makes you wonder what kids are on nowadays to like this stuff.

Anyways, Euphyllia, you should check out MOFIB's clownfish breeding page.
http://www.marinebreeder.org/phpbb/viewforum.php?f=169

Tons of great info there as well as other people currently trying to breed clownfish.
Good luck with raising these little guys (even if you don't make any money it will definitely be worth your time in the experience and knowledge you will gain). Also, show us more videos of you flipping out. That's gold Jerry, pure Gold!
I'd recommend the Marine Breeders initiative site. That's where THE Matts are hanging out and it seems I'll be there a lot too as the mag aligns itself with this excellent project.
http://www.masm.org/mForums/

Yes you did, and I already commented on your welcome thread and your first spawning report is already overdue!!!
Hurry up!!!!!!!
J/K!! LOL

iCon said:
If you successfully raise them, I'll buy a pair or two off you ;) You can use that money to get a tripod so you can tape yourself stabbing bristleworms.

If I successfully raise them I'll start a thread in the Buy Sell Trade and you'll be the first on the list if you still want to buy some at the time. :)
If I am able to successfully raise these I would probably sell them at around 2-3 months old.

I thought it takes 5-6 months before you can actually sell them?? I think it would be a better start if you just want to raise them for fun/learn before even thinking about selling them. You wouldn't be so disappointed if you don't get your $ back. I spent over $100 and many hours just to raise 9 banggai. I gave them all away when they big enough. Anyway good luck to you man..

I was in my room and I saw the banggai eating stuff. I took my flashlight and they were hatching! I went in to shock because the banggai was eating them and almost literally hyperventilated. We got 10 and they're doing great in the fry tank but we disturbed the rest of the batch so I took time to do this while waiting for the rest to continue hatching.
:crown:

OK so I think I bothered them enough. I have about 20 and there is roughly 60-80 eggs left. I got a light for the tank so that the fry can see their prey and I added some rotifers so that they can start practicing their hunting skills. :)
More updates to come! :bigsmile:

Today was one of the worst days ever. It's so much work! My bad is in pain and I'm tired, only 20% or less of the eggs actually hatched, and I'm going to have to do this tomorrow night, too, since they haven't all hatched. At least I know what to do now. :tired:

I've read that also, but whenever I talk to somebody that raises them they always say they got 10 from their first batch. Joyce Wilkerson's book also states that websites online will say the first few batches won't make it which discourages people. I can try my best and see what happens and I'll know just what to do for the next time.

This morning there are still about 15-20. I added a cup of rotifers and turned up the air stone to where it almost slightly ripples the water. Temperature is 78 and I'm hoping to move it up and keep it at 80. 3/4 of the eggs didn't hatch (probably because I bugged them so much) so I'm going to catch those little babies tonight! :bigsmile:

Questions:
Where can I buy baby brine shrimp eggs without cyst?
How much of a daily water change should I do? I filled the tank half way so there is around 5 gallons.

you mean without shells? do it yourself with bleach, ask your parents before you start messing with that stuff. But take the dry eggs, soak them in bleach for 5 mins until they turn orange. once they're orange pour everything into a BBS net over the sink then while they're in the net rinse them with tap water then a little vinegar(to neutralize the bleach) then water again then hatch them like normal. I've read people on nanoreef skipping BBS all together and just going straight to otohime, I'm not sure what size though

Euphyllia said:
Today was one of the worst days ever. It's so much work!
That's pretty much how it is if you want to hatch and raise baby clowns.

Then there's the constant feeding, water changes, and tank cleaning.

Yup, it's a good reminder to be grateful to our parents. I think humans sometimes take decades to reach the point of living independently. LOL

Euphyllia said:
I've read that also, but whenever I talk to somebody that raises them they always say they got 10 from their first batch. Joyce Wilkerson's book also states that websites online will say the first few batches won't make it which discourages people. I can try my best and see what happens and I'll know just what to do for the next time.

This morning there are still about 15-20. I added a cup of rotifers and turned up the air stone to where it almost slightly ripples the water. Temperature is 78 and I'm hoping to move it up and keep it at 80. 3/4 of the eggs didn't hatch (probably because I bugged them so much) so I'm going to catch those little babies tonight! :bigsmile:

Questions:
Where can I buy baby brine shrimp eggs without cyst?
How much of a daily water change should I do? I filled the tank half way so there is around 5 gallons.

Brine Shrimp Direct
Seahorse Source

RN doesn't have it Gresham?? I still have a can that I bought from you guy. It's still 90% full LOL .. The one I bought has the shell.

Elite said:
RN doesn't have it Gresham?? I still have a can that I bought from you guy. It's still 90% full LOL .. The one I bought has the shell.

Read his post again. He's looking DECAPS, not cysts ;)

Back