Cali Kid Corals

BEST DAY EVAR! :D

Well today my BBS hacthed. I put a few in the fry tank and I just checked on them. A few have red bellies so I guess they'll pass. The other 75% are fine. I have about 40 survivors left.

Elite said:
Isn't it too early to feed BBS?

They're all 7-9 days old and Joyce Wilkerson's book recommends introducing them as early as 5 days old. Should I hold off on the BBS for a few days? At least I'll know all of this for the next batch.

From the thread - (pretty good clownfish rearing)
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1333809

Flyboy posted this info -
Conditioning, Spawning & Rearing of Fish with Emphasis on Marine Clownfish by Frank H. Hoff

Rots (50-150um) Day 0-10
Dry Food (50-100um) Day 3-12
Artemia (300-400um) Day 5-15
Dry Food (100-200um) Day 8-15
Krill Meal (100-200um) Day 8-16
Dry Pellets (100-600um) Day 11-30

Clownfishes Joyce D. Wilkerson

Rots Day 0-12
Artemia Day 8-12
Pulverized Flake food Day 8-12

I'd like to take things slower and gradually introduce them to larger foods. I'm going to go with Joyce Wilkerson's ideas but I may postpone the stuff for a few days.

There is maybe about 20 left. Hopefully at least 5 will survive through meta. :)
Even if I get 1, it is better than nothing. And besides, I have another batch on the way. :bigsmile:

I have videos of everything. All of the things you mentioned, and more! :)
However I've been too lazy to put the videos together. I'll hopefully have it done by the end of Saturday. :)

So my clowns eggs have all turned a silver black color, does that mean they about to hatch, if so I better not feed the tangs tonight or they will miss out on the meal.....

They wont meta until they switch food. I cant remember who's thread it was but someone had some fry for over 20 days that didn't change. He finally stopped putting green water to kill off the rots and they finally changed.

That is the first time I have ever heard of that (Moe, Wittenrich, Hoff, Wilkerson, etc's books make zero mention of that being any factor either). Everything I have read, seen and been told counters that speculation. Time and temp are the key factors, genetics plays a roll as well.

Ah well I was following some guys breeder thread and at one point he had about 8-10 pre-meta's that just wouldnt change even after 20 days, but they also wern't dying/sick. He also noticed their bellies were still silver (feeding on rots) so he killed off the rots and they changed 2 days later.

Why do you think if the belly is silver they are feeding on rots? Everything I have read and seen points to the silver belly has to do with development, not whats in it ;)

cuzz his other food was orange and he could see the orange in the one's eating the orange stuff. Regardless you can think of not switching as genetics, if a fry isnt inclined to switch food on it's own and switching food has something to do with meta then it wouldn't last long in the wild, natural selection would kick in.

it's also just as likely his rots lacked nutritional value.

YESSS +1 internets for me. But seriously you think the switch has anything to do with it? I kind of want to raise a clutch if my clowns ever decide to lay.

Higher temps tend to push them through meta quicker. Everything I have seen points to this and nothing I have seen points to switching feeds.

example:

http://www.marinebreeder.org/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=169&t=315

kathyL said:
5.1 – Size at hatching: 3mm
5.2 – Yolk sac present at hatch: Yes, and is generally consumed by day 3 of life.
5.3 – Mouth present at hatch: Yes
5.4 – Eyes developed at hatch: Yes, larvae have excellent eyesight, and too much light can be stressful to them.

6 - Rearing:

6.1 - Breeding & Rearing Techniques
If lighting is too intense, they will dive to the bottom and stand on their heads. If lighting is too dim, they will crowd the surface. First feeding of larvae works best in water containing live food organisms, rotifers, and phytoplankton sufficient to tint and cloud the water. At least one airstone should be employed to keep water moving slightly and well oxygenated. Salinity can be slowly dropped to 25 ppt or so. Temperature should be maintained at around 80 for ocellaris. Higher temperatures will raise metabolism and shorten time to metamorphosis in well fed larvae. Water quality should be maintained as free from ammonia as possible.

6.2 – Day at first feeding:
Within the first 3 days after hatching, usually upon first light.

6.3 - Starvation Time:
If known, include the time post-hatch that larval will live without feeding. This can often be found in larval studies where scientists do not feed the larvae, as well a accounts of failed larval rearing attempts.

6.4 – Feeding scheme:
In captivity, the planktonic larvae are fed exclusively for the first several days on marine rotifers (cultured with phytoplankton or yeast, and then enriched (with high quality phytoplankton, selco, selcon, ratio hufa, etc.) before consumption.) Rotifers should be added to the larval tank for a final concentration of 8-15 per ml tank water, so that the larvae will see one frequently, and learn quickly how to hunt and feed.
Around day 4- 6 depending on size, newly hatched brine shrimp and or appropriately sized dry food may be introduced. New foods should overlap with established foods for a few days. These times are approximate for A. ocellaris, and may vary with species. Brine shrimp may be continued for several weeks or avoided altogether if the larvae accept dry food early. Larvae should be weaned onto a high quality dry food as soon as they will take it, with some overlap with live foods to prevent starvation of those who are slow to learn.

6.5 – Age at meta: Usually for ocellaris, 5-11 days

First sign of impending metamorphosis is tail curling. Next the larvae develop a white headband followed soon after with a middle band. Body deepens as intestines kink, and larvae become fish shaped. Ocellaris acquire an orange color generally, except for the white bands. As the fish grow they fill in the tail band, and black outlining of fins and bands.

I'd like to point out she says nothing about stomach color, nor food being a cue to switch :D

Back