Our mission

BEST DAY EVAR! :D

So today I cleaned all of my equipment out (like containers and stuff) and got ready to feed the fish. I got out some BBS (the parents actually eat them) and some frozen mysis. I enjoy hand feeding them and they enjoy it to. I was amazed by how fat she was, then I saw that their breeding tubes were down. They're like 4 days early! I thought that they lay eggs every 2 weeks at maximum. Guess I learn something new every day! :D

By 5:00 they still hadn't laid any eggs and they were trying to move the anemone, so I turned off the pumps, fed the anemone (which caused it to close up for a bit) and now they are cleaning off their rock. They decided to move back to their first spawning site. :)

Probably :D

I went and checked on the tank. I found a big patch of bright orange eggs, maybe a tiny bit bigger than the last. The interesting thing is that the patch was so large that they spread it onto 2 rocks (the rock with the nem and the rock that makes the arch right behind it). Now I just have to wait until hatching night(s). :bigsmile:

Matthew if they spread to another rock, can't you wait until they are close and then place the entire 2nd rock into you rearing tank?

I'd rather just scoop them out of the tank along with the rest. There were only a few eggs on the 2nd rock and I'm not so sure how to hatch them in the rearing tank. I'll let the male clownfish do all the work. :)

Hatching in a really easy. take the rock, place in tank, put airline below rock and wait :) At least that is how many I have spoken with do it. larval catching is hard on the larvae, even using a bowl.

I just re-did the fry tank and I have a question. Does there have to be an air stone under the heater? Is it like 100% necessary or just a nice extra for safety?

Doesn't it also have the added effect of kepping the fry away from the heater which could FRY the FRY.............LOL

Everything is perfect for the fry tonight.
I figured out a way to arrange the air stone and the heater to where the heater is constantly lined with a steady stream of hundreds of tiny bubbles. There's probably a small current around it, and the bubles will disperse the heat! :bigsmile:
On the other side of the tank is another air stone that blows tiny bubbles around the thermometer. :)

great on the first part, bad idea on the second part. By blowing bubbles across you thermometer you are making it read the average temp of the water mixed with the air. I highly doubt your air is the same temp as your water, right?

Back