Kessil

best high head pump

kvosstra

Supporting Member
Looking for a pump to push from basement to the ground floor. I will probably just use this pump to push to the display tank, and a second high flow pump for all the remaining parts, that would not have to flow vertical feet.

Looking for flow of 250-400 GPH, since the tank is small. Price and cost of running are the key issues.

Any input is welcomed! Thanks!

Hey Kyle, hope all's well. I have been researching the same issue since the new setup has about a 50 foot run and around 9' head. The key issue for me is power consumption and I've been talking with the guys at reeflo since their pumps look pretty good for output vs consumption in a high head situation. However, since I probably need about 1200 GPH min, I'm looking at a bit larger pump.

I'll be interested to see what others say, but since your flow needs are modest you should be able to get something pretty good and perhaps even have the option of in sump or external.

The RLZT series of Iwaki pumps are meant for high pressure.

This thing link is old, but I still use it, especially when I am looking at a used pump. http://www.reefs.org/library/pumps/

I just switched to a Tarpon external and it pushes a ton of water. Still need to tweak the input but probably 2x my Mag 18. Think I have about 12-14" of head hight.

I got couple Iwaki on the lower model number, one for flow and the other one for pressure, believe are MD20RLT and MD20RLXT; I'll check the flow and head on both, even think those are low wattage and pretty darn quiet.

Will the Quiet One 4000 High Head work?

http://www.marinedepot.com/Lifegard_Aquatics_Quiet_One_Aquarium_Pump_4000_High_Head_500_to_1000_Gallons_Per_Hour_Submersible_Water_Pumps-Lifegard_Aquatics-RB3111-FIWPSBFT-RB3119-vi.html

Iwaki 20RLT (pressure) and RLXT (flow)

Watts 53 either one!!! 20RLT head is 14'

I just checked the label today

P1040108.jpg

I think the total head is 12-14 feet, just not totally sure, until anything is actually built! Again, this would be for a 40-90 gallon tank, and I'd want 250 to 400 GPH going through it...I want this tank to be quiet, since its in the bedroom.

Finally found the camera battery charger, so hoping for pics this weekend!

Back