Best Light for 25 Gallon Solana Cube?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by 99sf, May 13, 2010.

1. 99sf

99sf Guest

Searching for some opinions about which light fixture would be best for a rimless 18" Solana cube. Will probably be stocked with LPS & some SPS. Trying to avoid a bulky fixture that would prevent a top-down view, and will be able to use a hanging bar to suspend a light. Suggestions?

2. Raddogz

Raddogz Guest

What kind of lighting are you looking for? Metal Halide? LED? Inexpensive or something pricey?

3. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

Hmm this kinda blocks top down but you could raise it enough to not :)

http://www.ecoxotic.com/products/panorama-led-lighting/panorama-led-fixtures.html

FWIW it's design just for your Solana :)

4. 99sf

99sf Guest

Eileen, we're contemplating MH or LED. Price-wise, leaning toward the mid range.

Gresham, that light fixture looks awesome, pictured above a Solana. Unfortunately, it's a bit out of the price range $)

Forgot to mention that this tank will need enough light for a maxima clam.

5. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

But it will last 4-5 years with no bulb changes and is enough for a clam from what other users have told me :)

Look into the MH/LED pendant from Reef Brite. It's very sexy and has the best of both worlds. Neptune's can get them and I heard Reef Brite stopped by the SF stores so hopefully one of them (OTA?) will pick up the line as well.

[​IMG]

If I were going with a pendant, that is the one I would get.

6. eldiablosrt8

eldiablosrt8 Sponsor

looks like ocean treasures is also carrying Reefbrite i bought all mine from neptunes....... trust me when i say the reefbrite is well worth the money and the led/mh setup is sweet saw it at BAYMAC

7. nanocube-guy

nanocube-guy Guest

Gresh... That is one sweet fixture... how much is that going?

8. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

Online it's listed at like around $150 minus LEDs and $400 with LEDs. Dunno what LFS's would charge.

9. nanocube-guy

nanocube-guy Guest

dope.... its worth 400 with LED/... That would be awesome if i start my new 37-g set up.

10. 99sf

99sf Guest

That Reef Brite MH/LED pendant does seem like a good option. It is very sexy!

11. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

Reef Brite has been pushed by many to offer other colors (anodized IIRC, not powder coated) :) I'd love to see it in black or white.

12. tuberider

tuberider Guest

It is possible to anodize in different colors correct? I had some LE Independent skate trucks back in the day that were copper colored, I wish I didn't destroy them on the Annie Sez steps back in the day.

13. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

Pssshhhh up until like 15 years ago I had two full sets of OG OJ wheels, the first ones (the soft ones). Those Indies sound cool, never saw them.. lucky dog. You know how many decks I destroyed that were limited editions like that? Too many to count. One nice aspect of being a skater kid in Santa Cruz.

Yah I think it'll be anodized so copper could be done.

14. tuberider

tuberider Guest

I have some original bones wheels at my moms, Not Rat Bones, but bones, 3 red and one yellow. Dammit I'm dating myself, although I still wish I had the old Skull and Sword to go with them :D

15. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

Oh don't date yourself, that never turns out good. Just think about it, when you get in a fight with yourself only you can loose :p

Now I am wondering if they were OJ II's? damn it. I'm getting old and can't remember useless facts like this :p

16. tuberider

tuberider Guest

Dunno, OJs were post banana board :D

17. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

We're only a few months apart in age ;) We had real skateboards here in SC in the 70's :p I did start on a banana board.

My friends aunt was the fastest downhill female banana board rider. She put all us kids to shame, even knew some cool tricks.