Reef nutrition

Best Lighting for LPS

What are the best ways to maintain bright colors of LPS corals?

For example:

Acans... High Light or Low to remain bright?

Chalice? I've always thought higher lights means the lighter they get (morph in color) so it's usually best to keep them at an angle so they get different light intensities (therefore color variations)

How are Acans affected?

What about Other types? Favites? Blastos? etc...

Chalices aside, most all LPS do perfectly fine in medium light. Some do better in lower and some higher. It is hard to make blanket statements. Some chalices can handle a lot of light while others cry with it gets more than candle light. Some acans can be blasted and others hate high light, but do fine in med.

I tend to put all LPS in medium light and experiment with lower light. The only time I experiment with high light is when I have a second frag and don't mind waiting several months to acclimate (and risk bleaching)

My acans all seem fine all around the tank,up and down.
They seem to adapt to the light. Some "reach" in lower light,
some don't in my tank.
All other LPS I have are on the bottom and seem bright and puffy.

I have my acans in relatively low light, however I've seen some people (Lapsan for instance) smack dead center under 600 watt halides... my guess is they're quite adaptable :D While Tony is right with the blanket statements I think it is some what fair to say that LPS probably can do better in lower light than many SPS we keep :)

It's hard to say what high light and low light is :p I have a 150 watt MH the tank is like 24 inches deep, compared to someone running much brighter lights at similar depths or deeper.

Back