Jestersix

best small-tank herbivore?

Anyone have ideas for a good herbivore in a smallish tank. Its a 4' x12"x16"high 40g tank. Any other fish besides a 'lawnmower blenny? All other inhabitants are peaceful (2x clowns, goby, mandarin). It's either that, or I go with an urchin?

Not sure how much they eat by mass, but my is eating algae etc from all the surfaces in the tanks non stop. I almost never see him not grazing.

Eventually yes, you'd have to catch him and find a reefer with a bigger tank, but he could be fine for a year or two depending on how well fish grow for you. I've seen 12" lawnmower blennies too ;)

phishphood said:
Will that stay small enough Matt? While I do hope to upgrade, I don't see it happening within the year.

IMO, yes. Depending on the conditions it's kept in, (e.g. with no competing tankmates, plenty of hiding space, well fed, great water quality) a Tomini Tang can do perfectly fine in a tank that size for years. A Z. scopas would be fine too. I don't even think a scopas would need to be moved into a larger tank.

FWIW the Tominis that we have in our big tank are small, even given essentially infinite space to grow. They just don't get very big in captivity.

Well, tank mates are as I said before, and shouldn't be a problem. As for feeding and water quality that won't be a problem. The only thing I can think of is hiding spaces. I don't have a ton of rock in the tank, and the wrasse and firefish like their crevices as well. Pic is attached. So either a tomini or a scopas would work in a 40g long tank for a fairly long period of time?
Full stock list:
2x a. percula
1x firefish
1x sm flasher wrasse
1x mandarin
1x high-fin goby
1x pep shrimp
1x pistol
fts5-5-10.jpg

Love the tube worms. Will the tomini eat those, or damage them?

This is a great thread. I have a 30g hex and looking for the same. Do the tomini have 'tang fever'? Blue and sailfin I have been around were both squirreley. I have plenty of rock to dart around a through.

48"x12"x16" 40g long. Thanks for the info Matt.

+1 on the tube worms. Not a huge issue, but if one or the other is more prone to nipping them then it'd be nice to know. I don't think it'd be much of an issue though.

Back