Kessil

Best way to clean canister filter

Hi all,

I have an older Eheim canister filter that used to be attached to my FW tank. I'd like to use it with my upcoming reef tank but it's quite gunky. What's the best way to clean out the components?

Thanks!

Open it up, remove/throw away all the filter material, replace it with new stuff.

I had one when I started, always made a mess when I popped it open as some matter of water would get on the floor. Another problem I recall is that the time it takes a particular filter to get gunked up differed. For instance any sort of mechanic filtration (filter floss, etc) you need to change/clean MUCH more frequently then say a carbon area. I would probably use a canister filter like I would any sort of media filter, carbon, GFO, bioballs, etc, just make sure that the water going into it is as clear of food particles as possible, i.e. turn it off after you feed.

If stuff are already dried up I would run the filter on a bucket of water to soften things up first.

I generally run through the tubings with pipe cleaner. Use an old toothbrush on the propeller assembly and connector. When done, just let it run with the bucket of water some more.

Thanks Mike,

I'm actually running this filter without any media at all, mostly just for increased volume and water flow. I guess the issue I'm worried about are any pathogens in the equipment that might cause issues in a saltwater tank. I doubt it but just wanted to be safe. Maybe running the filter with a vinega/water mixture?

I wouldn't worry too much about any pathogens, you have freshwater bacteria which will more likely than not die in saltwater due to the different chemistry. If you're really that worried, tap water should have enough chloramines to kill off anything really nasty. Vinegar could give things a pH shock, but not particularly necessarily IMO, more useful for cleaning off any calcification and the like.

Back