Bio-Cube LED fixture group buy

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by al g blenny, Feb 3, 2010.

1. al g blenny

al g blenny Guest

Hey Everyone. It's been a long time since I talked to most of you. I have been out of the reef thing for a while but I recently got back in and I now have a 14g bio-cube. It's not much right now but it's better than nothing. In all of my researching on this I stumbled across a LED fixture that works perfect for the 14 gal. It has the light output of a 250 halide without the heat. It also uses a LOT less power. I know LEDs aren't a new thing to the hobby but this hood is perfect for these tanks and it is super cheap. I was thinking I could manage a group buy on them. The fixtures should run less than $150 (maybe as low as $120). The only problem is that they need to be protected from the water in some way. All I did is have a piece of acrylic cut to sit on the lip of the tank. The light rests right on that. I could take some pics if anyone is interested. You are all welcome to see it in person if you want as well. I live in Redwood City. You can post here, PM me, or email me at algblenny@yahoo.com. Thanks.

2. sfsuphysics

sfsuphysics Supporting Member

Do you have a link or something to the fixture in question? I mean $150 seems awfully low considering the cost of current fixtures out there.

3. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

MAAAATTTTTTTTT long time now see :)

I was just talking about you the other day :D

4. xinumaster

xinumaster Guest

I want one for my office.

5. tuberider

tuberider Guest

Hi Matt!!!

6. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

Hey you're the one I was talking about Matt with :lol:

7. tuberider

tuberider Guest

We made him reappear :D

8. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

POWER!!!!!

9. Ibn

Ibn Supporting Member

...cue background music...when you wish upon a star...

great to see you, matt!

10. Apon

Apon Volunteer

hi Matt,

Would love to see a picture, or specs on the LED fixture.

11. bmhair03

bmhair03 Guest

Very interested.Ditto on the specs and some pics.Welcome back.

12. al g blenny

al g blenny Guest

Thanks for the warm welcome guys. I'll try to get some pics and the specs up in a day or two. Do you think I should post this on the RC BAR forum? Will I get in trouble for that? Al g blenny is already banned but I don't want to get my other screen name kicked off as well.

13. sfsuphysics

Knowing the RC forum you will definitely get in trouble for it, regardless if you're running a business or not.

14. drdoolittle

drdoolittle Guest

welcome back Matt.. its been a while..

15. tuberider

tuberider Guest

We have nothing to do with RC anymore!!!!!! :D

16. sid700

sid700 Supporting Member

Any additional info?

17. bmhair03

bmhair03 Guest

18. al g blenny

al g blenny Guest

I can tell you that it is a little over a square foot (12" x 12") and it is 28 watts total. I'll get some pics today.

19. sfsuphysics

Name?

I have a really hard time believing that a 28watt fixture can equal the power of a 250w light, maybe right next to the emitted.

20. cwolfus

cwolfus Past President

Welcome back Matt!