Kessil

Black Storm X Black Darwin cross

Got a couple of black storms around 8 months old. I would like to pair one of them to a big female black Darwin clownfish which is around 4 years old. I bought a mated pair of Darwins but am not interested in producing more Darwins. Since my storms are younger. I rather use them as males..
I’m hoping it works out. Another thing is by separating the male Darwin, and putting it with the younger and smaller black storm. Would it become a female ? Since the Darwin male is bigger?

It's my understanding the larger fish will turn to female; pairing them takes some time, thus patience.
Having them "mate" that's another issue beyond your control; will be up to the couple of fish to let nature do its thing.

After a few months of age, the alpha fish in a group will eventually mature into a female. Also, a clown of more than 6-12 months old will naturally turn female if alone in a tank. This is why it is hard to be certain that you have a male when purchasing even a small clown … it could have been alone by itself or the alpha in its group, and therefore already female.

For the pairs that you have, and the age you note, the odd on likelihood is that the larger ones in the pairs are females, and the smaller ones males. As Mario notes, ID is the first challenge, pairing and getting along a big step, and then getting them to mate a huge jump. Some of my pairs have cleaned nest sites for a couple years before putting down their first clutch.

Fingers is right.

When we spoke to Sea and Reef at MACNA they told Jerry and me that that the pairing of Darwin and Storm is the correct pairing and sometimes you get some storms and sometimes you do not get any storms.

Fingers is right.

When we spoke to Sea and Reef at MACNA they told Jerry and me that that the pairing of Darwin and Storm is the correct pairing and sometimes you get some storms and sometimes you do not get any storms.
Great. I got two of that pairing. Getting along. But who knows what and when if it ever happens

We have our first hatch with the mocha storm as daddy yesterday so far great survival. We usually wait for the daddy to have 3 to 4 clutches before hatching but he did such a great job with the 2nd clutch we decided to give it a go.

Day 2
dacae80d3d07691e00c73e9ea5386b48.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

Back