Reef nutrition

Blacking out fuge

Has anyone done this before? What’s a good reef safe paint to use on a glass sump? TIA!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You could also apply squeegee-on window blackout film or thick adhesive vinyl (like contact paper). I have both on different tanks and they both block the light effectively.

Duct tape.
:)

My recommendation is to use the normal black aquarium background film. Usually have it at Petco.
And just tape it on, in case you change your mind.

You do need special paint to really stick to glass well, and I doubt it is reef safe, so I would not go that method,
even if painted on the outside.
https://www.glasspaint.com/

What’s the benefits of blacking out a refugium? Isn’t the difference between a refugium and a straight sump that the refugee grows macroalgae to restrict the nutrients available for nuisance algae in the display tank?

Exactly, I’m trying to prevent light bleed into the non fuge sections and causing unwanted algae growth.

I’ve seen on some forums, ppl have said rust-oleum or acrylic paint are reef safe but thought I’d double check here.

https://www.tapplastics.com/product/plastics/plastic_sheets_rolls/hdpe_m_m_opaque/258

Usually in stock at local Tap Plastics. Use in tank out of tank, whatever. FDA approved for food contact, thus reef safe.

If you're using this for baffles for the sump you're building, why don't you just go buy black acrylic for the baffles from the $1 scrap bin at Tap Plastics instead of trying to paint/cover up?
Found a glass shop near me that cuts to exact specs I need for real cheap. Plus glass sump and glass baffles silicone better... no potential bowing/warping.

Get a thin piece of black or wbite acrylic thats the slightly smaller size than your baffle, just make sure its opaque 100%. Then just get a dab of superglue or silicone and attach it to your glass baffle, or clip it on.

Get a thin piece of black or wbite acrylic thats the slightly smaller size than your baffle, just make sure its opaque 100%. Then just get a dab of superglue or silicone and attach it to your glass baffle, or clip it on.
Superglue works ok for acrylic to glass bonding?

Back