Cali Kid Corals

blk tip reef shark

ok i have a question ,i went to this dude house that lives right next door to my friend.he had a saltwater pond in his garage...he had blk tip reef sharks in there..they looked really cool..he said they ate all of his fishes...lol so dude ask me if i wanted to buy them for 650 each...is that a good price?the only thing that sucked was dude wouldnt let me take any pic..80((

price is irrelevant. Are you equipped to handle them through out their life, even when they get 4 or 5 feet?

BAR seeks to promote, foster and encourage education and appreciation for the ethical husbandry and propagation of marine life

We're pretty serious about our mission statement around here ;)

Also, take it as a bad sign he would not let you take a photo .

Smiley said:
wonder why he wouldnt let you take pictures....

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/licensing/pdffiles/fg1518.pdf

Black tips aren't in that document. They are restricted in regards to import, but not sale within, or transportation/possession.

GreshamH said:
Smiley said:
wonder why he wouldnt let you take pictures....

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/licensing/pdffiles/fg1518.pdf

Black tips aren't in that document. They are restricted in regards to import, but not sale within, or transportation/possession.

Family Carcharhinidae is in the doc.......

Black Tip Reef Shark
Family: Carcharhinidae
Genus: Carcharhinus
Species: C. melanopterus

Unless there are more than one type of shark with that common name.

-Gregory

§671. Importation, Transportation and Possession of Live Restricted Animals
.....(a) It shall be unlawful to import, transport, or possess live animals restricted in subsection (c) below except under permit
issued by the department. Permits may be issued by the department as specified herein and for purposes designated
in Section 671.1 subject to the conditions and restrictions designated by the department. Except for mammals listed in
Fish and Game Code Section 3950 or live aquatic animals requiring a permit pursuant to Fish and Game Code
Section 2271, no permit is required by this section for any animal being imported, transported, or possessed pursuant
to any other permit issued by the department. Cities and counties may also prohibit possession or require a permit for
these and other species not requiring a state permit

....(c) Restricted species include
............(6) Class Elasmobranchiomorphi -Cartilaginous Fishes
......................(A) Family Carcharhinidae -Requiem Sharks: All species of genus Carcharhinus (Freshwater sharks) (D).

now notice that they said freshwater sharks but yet says all species of genus Carcharhinus which include blacktip reef sharks. I found that only the bull shark is claimed to be able to tolerate freshwater but isn't actually a freshwater only shark.

OK they are... but as you just posted, my second statement is correct
They are restricted in regards to import, but not sale within, or transportation/possession.

no permit is required by this section for any animal being imported, transported, or possessed pursuant
to any other permit issued by the department

The permit is pulled for import, which IIRC then follows the fish down the CoC. It's been a while since I was an importer, but I still have deep ties into the trade.

Back