Cali Kid Corals

blown tunze driver

houser

Past President
You don't burn you don't learn.

My tunze stream shut down for no apparent reason. Garage reeked of burnt electronics, faint tunze alarm sound (barely audible.) Weird. Pump itself looks fine, impeller fine, spins easily so nothing obvious. Must have just ran it into the ground.

blowndriver.jpg

The lesson? I'm not sure. This makes 2 pump-related failures in less than 2 weeks for me? Gremlins??

Putting on a MP40 tomorrow. Been wanting to try one for a while.

Agree, bummer, replace board.

But a very interesting picture.
It looks like they are using a simple transistor to control the power, and that one likely overheated and blew.

Using such a basic linear circuit is very disappointing in these modern days of switchers and PWM circuits.
That may in fact mean that the actual power used at the wall will not change as you lower/raise the power head speed.
(Basically, you drop the voltage across the transistor - as heat, instead of driving it into the pump)
Ok, not a huge deal, but still a waste.

Good news is the driver itself is a separate dealy from the pump so you don't need to replace the whole pump. I'd give Tunze a buzz, they might have a cheaper solution.

FWIW this is from 2004 or 2005 I think there are some changes since then?? I concur at first glance linear looking the driver chips are heat sinked to some extent as expected. Was hoping for a blown cap or some easy fix but oh well. Bet it gets very hot in the fully enclosed box with all the ramping up and down.
Current gen stream drivers spec current (I) ranges so very well may be PWM now? Speculation on my part though.
Funny thing is just the variable speed part of the driver board is smoked. The pump will run in constant (no multicontroller input) so I think the pump is ok. Not sure if in some way the 7095 is compromised on one of the output channels not currently about to hook up the good system to that channel. Will test with DVM later....

sfsuphysics said:
Shoot a message over at the RC Tunze forum, Roger will probably chime in.

Better yet, shoot Roger an email.

tunze@sbcglobal.net

Controller boxes are not repairable and have to buy a new box from tunze. per rodger. I had one go bad and had to purchase a new one. Basically they dont do repairs. He may what to test your pump and transformer to find out what causing the your controller box to go bad.

Back