Neptune Aquatics

blue claudilla coral

JRocha

Supporting Member
I went to aquarium concepts today to pick up a UV sterilizer bulb and ended up buying a coral which they said was called a blue claudilla coral which is supposed to be rare. I didn't buy it because it was rare I bought it because it is beautiful. i will post a pic of it when it opens tomorrow. they look like a blue star polyp. its beautiful to me so I bought a small dime sized piece for 20 dollars. they were selling a 3 to 4 inch piece for 200 to 300 dollars. anybody have any info on this coral by any chance. I can't find anything online. thanks in advance.

Blue clavularia?

http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&q=blue%20clavularia&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi

Careful, if it is. It spreads all over.

no it's not that, but i do have that in my tank. doesn't do too well. most of it died off, but it has shown up in different parts of the tank. hmmm. is that how it spreads? looks like it melts away and grows somewhere else?

the coral i just got is a soft coral that looks like a star polyp but it is blue with green tips. pics will be up tomorrow. maybe someone has seen it at aquarium concepts. they have a good amount of it.

yeah i'm just trying to figure out the care for the coral so i can place it where it can thrive. i don't belive that it is a colt of any sort. it doesn't branch out from what I have seen from the bigger pieces, it grows more like a mat like the cloves do, but they are not spaced out like the cloves. really hard to explain i guess. hopefully it opens tomorrow so I can show you.

This stuff, ya? It's been showing up a bit lately:

IMG_7106.jpg

Mr. Ugly said:
Some kind of cladiella then?

Those don't look like star polyps though.

I bet it's the blue sansibia (blue snowflake) that has over run my tank and killed enough of my corals to make me really hate the stuff.

[http://www.vividaquariums.com/10Expand.asp?ProductCode=02-1321-10

FWIW I and many others do not this it's in the but rather the Xeniidea family.

treylane said:
This stuff, ya? It's been showing up a bit lately:

IMG_7106.jpg

Even though I hate the fish, dang that is a nice one. I like the green on it.

problem is, they send off loose polyps to invade elsewhere. My was fully separated from everything else and within two months it was all over my tank.

The coral in the pic I linked isn't the usual sansibia or anthelia stuff. Probably somewhere in the alcyonium or cladiella direction. Has a significant amount of fairly solid flesh that the polyps retract into like a leather.

COOL!!!!! So in other words it's less likely to bail out and spread every where :) What conditions does it like?

Heck if I know! :p

I've had a piece for ~2wks now and it seems (?) so far to be happy with a constant current across it and about as much light as shrooms seem to like. I suspect that I can give it more light, but probably too lazy to move it unless it starts looking grouchy.

future DBTC item? Heck I'd buy it even if you want to sell some at BAYMAC via SDMAS's booth :) BTW I am super stoked they are coming up.

Back