Our mission

Blue PVC Cement curing time

Scarbird

Supporting Member
Not sure if this belongs in this category.
How long must I wait for the blue pvc cement to dry before runing my water through it?
I'm making a change to my plumbing but don't want to affect my corals adversely.

Thanks for the quick reply.
I need to change my extended sump from gravity feed to pump.
This wil allow much more flexibility for feedings, etc...

I agree that there's more concern with the volatile that might get into your water than the curing of the join.

Your tank can handle even 24 hours without a return pump if you have other circulation like koralias or vortechs. Let the glue cure a while.

bondolo said:
I agree that there's more concern with the volatile that might get into your water than the curing of the join.

Your tank can handle even 24 hours without a return pump if you have other circulation like koralias or vortechs. Let the glue cure a while.

and a heater if your house isn't too cold... but if someone is relying on CA reactors or two part, doing so is not advisable in terms of coral health as the parameters will definitely swing.

JAR said:
It should be fine after 15 minutes or sooner. I don't think that that stuff mixes with water to easily.

Do you mean that my inhabitants won't be adversely affected because the chemicals will not become part of the water in my system? Similar to super glue drops that just become hardened, but don't mix with the water?
I am not a chemist, but I am starting to beleive that precipitation means to remove from the water solution. Anything precipitated would then be unable to affect water quality, is this correct? Also able to be skimmed?

My concern is only for the health of my inhabitants. I finished the new plumbing 15 minutes ago but I'm not sure how long to wait. The old system is still in place, I can wait as long as I need to.

Sniff test. If you can wait a day then let er' rip.
I have plumbed stuff on my tank an ran it almost immediately without any trouble but I am not a chemist and I did that out of necessity.
Listen to the scientists and wait 24 hrs.

Gomer said:
The solvents are pretty volatile. I'd give it the sniff test after 15 min

Tony, would flushing with freshwater help remove potential volatile compounds? I think my days of sniffing chemicals are behind me. :bigsmile:

Flushing only removes what is on the air side of the skinned over glue. Solvent still in the glue will continue to leach out till ...it is done leaching :p How much this effects the tank, is something I don't know for sure, but likely, small amounts are not an issue.

Back