got ethical husbandry?

BM 3 channel doser

Mr. Ugly

Past President
sfboarders said:
Mr. Ugly said:
We'll see what happens with my BM doser...

I might have to post about that too.

What's wrong with your BM Norm?
First time I ran it, one of the pump heads wiggled back and forth like crazy. Then it completely popped open and fell off the doser.

I put it back together and I could see that the pump head didn't sit flat on the box like the others. And when that motor powered up, the pump head made a huge racket and rocked back and forth to the point where it would fall apart again.

It looked to me that the motor for that head was crooked and putting a side load on the head, but maybe it was something else. Anyway, Joe(I got the doser from Aquatic Collection) sent it back to BM for me for repair/replacement.

I just got it back today, and everything seems to be working properly now. Looks like my original unit. It has the same dosing rate that I had input previously.

I checked for wiggling pump heads and found that the P3 still had more movement than the others. Not as much as previously. And nothing came apart.

I pulled all the heads off and ran the motors. They all operated smoothly and seemed to have no misalignment.

So I started swapping heads around to see if that made a difference in the movement. I figured the less movement the better for long term wear on the plastic.

After a few swaps, I ended up with a combination that had very little wiggling for any of the pump heads and left it like that.

All the pump heads are sitting slightly angled to the vertical surface of the chassis box, but all reasonably uniform.

So maybe it's just manufacturing tolerances in the pump heads. Probably worth checking and swapping to make sure that none of the heads have excessive play.

(Thanks Joe!)

Btw, for those with BM dosers....

Do yours have stickers on them that say "warranty void if label is removed"?

Don't remember if mine had that before. And was wondering if they had to get inside the box to fix it, or if it was just the pump head.

Tolerances and BM shouldn't go in the same sentence. I too had the popping heads, etc... and I tie wrap the heads to the main body now. I too rotated the heads for the best match and the heads have stayed put. Not sure if they would long term if the tie wraps weren't there??

I never had problem with heads, but plastic that joins both tubbings keep leaking.... I gotta go get me another butt splice. Any ideas where? I've been using a pot underneath the BM for too long now... lol

Interesting...

I just took a look online at the Profilux dosers, and the pump head construction looks just like the BM design.

Wouldn't be surprised if one was a knockoff of the other, the way Chinese manufacturing works.

Mr. Ugly said:
Interesting...

I just took a look online at the Profilux dosers, and the pump head construction looks just like the BM design.

Wouldn't be surprised if one was a knockoff of the other, the way Chinese manufacturing works.
Yup

dayshift makes Profilux products, after their shift is over, night shift comes in, makes the knock off products, all the equipment is there so they don't need to have anything special done except maybe different colored plastics. Wouldn't be the first time Bubble Magus blatantly copied another product, I think they did a duplicate of the ATi line of Bubble Master skimmers just Red and blue colored. Someone even did a duplicate of Tunze stream pumps, not sure if it was the same company.

Hehe.

Yah, it sucks for companies that go there to have their stuff manufactured cheap. Next thing you know, 3 other companies are selling your product.

Manufactured in Germany, but keep speculating, it makes for good reading.

Words apart in terms of build quality, gui, and even repairability.

If the heads hadn't popped off initially I'd have nothing to complain about. I find it adequate and easy to program. But working with medical-grade peri pumps at work in the old days I have a very biased opinion about what constitutes quality. I don't lose one second of sleep however knowing I have the BM3 sitting under my stand ;)

Mr. Ugly said:
Our stuff is like Easy Bake ovens compared to pro ranges :D

But a great chief can cook and incredible meal even in a Easy Bake :)

Now there is a basis for a reality TV show. Cook off using an Easy bake

Back