BOD dues

Discussion in 'General Club Business' started by Thales, Sep 24, 2007.

1. Thales

Thales Past President

Hey guys,

I think its time that the club vote to free the BOD from paying dues. They do so much work and the club has enough money now, that it seems strange to me to ask them to pay to help. Whaddya all think?
    :D

2. jkreefer

jkreefer Guest

I agree with you!!! They donate wayyy more time than..... $20-$30?

I say....FREE THEM OF DUES!!!!!!

3. Apon

Apon Volunteer

Do I get a vote? : )

4. sfsuphysics

sfsuphysics Supporting Member

Interesting proposal, mostly because I remember earlier talk of this. Are we talking all BOD helpers? Or simply the "elected" (or volunteered as the case is) BOD?

I'm ok with that though (there shouldn't be a BOD next to me anymore) assuming the club is more transparent in it's thoughts, that means updates that go beyond BOD meetings and the like. So when thoughts start circling about a plan to push forward you ask of the members or at least mention it a bit more.

5. LeviT

LeviT Guest

I'm ok with elected BOD members not paying dues.

6. Elite

Elite Guest

You got my vote :) ..

7. Thales

Thales Past President

[quote author=sfsuphysics link=topic=2438.msg24912#msg24912 date=1190682704]
    Interesting proposal, mostly because I remember earlier talk of this. Are we talking all BOD helpers? Or simply the "elected" (or volunteered as the case is) BOD?

I'm ok with that though (there shouldn't be a BOD next to me anymore) assuming the club is more transparent in it's thoughts, that means updates that go beyond BOD meetings and the like. So when thoughts start circling about a plan to push forward you ask of the members or at least mention it a bit more.

[/quote]

BOD.

Mike, it seems like you are bringing up two separate issues. Gifting the BOD membership, and getting a Secretary.

8. sfsuphysics

Not really Rich. I mean after all here you are making a suggestion, unless you temporarily took over secretary duties?

9. Mr. Ugly

Mr. Ugly Past President

Everybody has been filling in here and there on Secretary/Recorder responsibilities. My fault that meeting minutes have yet to be posted. I get tied up with other club stuff :(

Anyway, proposed dues waiver would be for the next batch of BOD and appointed officers, and would apply during their term of service to the club.

This change cannot be implemented by the BOD on its own, and needs to go to a vote of the general membership.

10. Thales

Thales Past President

[quote author=sfsuphysics link=topic=2438.msg24938#msg24938 date=1190697315]
    Not really Rich. I mean after all here you are making a suggestion, unless you temporarily took over secretary duties?

[/quote]

I think you are. You are combining the BOD having gifted dues and secretarial duties (which have been hard to get done since the beginning of the club).

Bringing something that needs to be voted on by the membership to the membership is secretarial.

11. sfsuphysics

Ok, maybe I am asking for a secretary then, and maybe this is in fact something you're doing temporarily.

Still I think it's only fair that if BOD members are going to get waivers due to all the hard work they do, which I know.. it was hard work, that the members should know more about the hard work other than frag swap X or the meetings that they (should) attend.

12. Thales

Thales Past President

[quote author=sfsuphysics link=topic=2438.msg24957#msg24957 date=1190733408]
    Ok, maybe I am asking for a secretary then, and maybe this is in fact something you're doing temporarily.[/quote]

As Norm said, everyone on the BOD takes a turn doing something secretarial. However, bringing something to the membership that the membership has to vote on to approve is not secretarial.

The membership has every opportunity to know all they want to know regarding the work the BOD does. All people have to do is go to the BOD meetings. Getting someone to do the secterial work you want done (and we have all wanted done for the last 4 years) has been difficult - perhaps giving the pittance of free BOD membership will entice someone to do the job.

13. tuberider

tuberider Guest

No pay to play for the BOD I say! Wait did someone say FREE membership?

14. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

I said the same thing a few years back and continue to voice my opnion on it.

ELECTED BOD should get free membership during their term. IMo this shold have been done at the very start. It's not much, but paying to be on the BOD doesn't seem to help people want to help more :)

15. bookfish

bookfish Guest

I'm fine either way.

16. northbay-reefer

northbay-reefer Honorary Member

I have seen how hard the BOD work, so I vote no fee for the BOD. The club is not about money anyway.

17. nukeproof

nukeproof Guest

I vote for no fee for BOD also. I would go as far as if they serve for certain number of years, they get free membership for life.

18. TimTen

TimTen Guest

My Vote is no due's for the BOD, you guys do a great job.

19. iani

iani Guest

Same here free for the BOD.

20. bareefers

bareefers BOD

If someone is going to contribute their time and energy for the good of the club, I think a dues waiver is cool. I'm sure the other members such as myself find twenty bucks to be well worht their effort. ;) My vote is yes.