bondolo's combined tanks

Discussion in 'Tank Journals' started by bondolo, Jan 28, 2011.

1. Flagg37

Flagg37 Officer at large

I saw that but it mentions that the strip LEDs that are wrapped around the outside of it aren't water resistant. I think it would be difficult to harvest the chaeto from the reactor without getting it wet.

2. Vhuang168

Vhuang168 Supporting Member

I'm using a 600w eBay led grow light. I think I paid $80. Grows Chaetomorpha like the weed that it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wpeterson likes this.
  3. Klems

Klems Supporting Member

4. rygh

rygh Supporting Member

Hmm, interesting. But I am a bit unclear on the point.
    If a quick ball of chaeto in the sump is not your thing, get a real algae scrubber.
    A bit unclear why you would want something in between with the hassles of both.

5. Vhuang168

Vhuang168 Supporting Member

It's for when you don't have room in the sump for chaeto or an ATS. You can have the rx outside the stand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. rygh

rygh Supporting Member

You can have an external algae scrubber as well.

But my opinion in general has changed anyway.
    Over-reducing nitrates is not always so great. Corals need to eat. So these more powerful scrubbers/cheatoRx may not be the best thing.

7. Coral reefer

Coral reefer President

Dave lives?!? No way!

8. wpeterson

wpeterson Webmaster

I'd argue for a cheap, full spectrum CFL grow light. I used these in our 90gal for several years and grew a lot of chaetomorpha and coraline:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001AZOV9K

... though right now I'm using an old Kessil A350N on the sump in our new tank, since I haven't been able to sell it.

9. bondolo

bondolo Supporting Member

I opted to get a 24W LED plant grow light and it seems to be doing the job. I am running it on reverse cycle from 10pm-5am. Macro algae in the sump is starting to grow rapidly.

I have also acquired, via @Kensington Reefer , my dream fish, a Magnifica Foxface. This is the fish I have wanted for 5+ years and I now finally have the tank space for one.

The aquascape is settling in after the move from the 92G. I haven't adjusted the position of any of the rocks or corals in a couple weeks and everything seems to be growing well again. I added only a little rock over what I had in the 55G so there is much less rock in the new tank. I may add a bit more rock in a couple of months but will probably end up with much less rockwork than before.

10. Joey Chen

Joey Chen Guest

Really love your corner tank. That is also my dream tank!

11. bondolo

If you are interested in a 55G corner tank I just happen to have one that I need to clean up for sale. Probably $350. :)

12. bondolo

Pump died on the skimmer, some coral and livestock (cleaner shrimp and snails) died as well despite repeated water changes. I ended up losing armour of god palys, one nice SPS, orange pavona, Caulastrea and the worst loss, an Australomusa I had never figured out how to frag. Nothing that can't be replaced.

13. boun11

boun11 Supporting Member

Sorry Mike! Come by my place and I am more than happy to share frags with you :)

14. monkeybiz

monkeybiz Guest

sorry to hear about the losses Mike.

15. bondolo

Thank you for the condolences and offers! Totally not required. I was primarily recording what I lost before I forgot!

16. bondolo

I need to set up a doser with magnesium and trace minerals. The magnesium level is constantly low since sump and tank upgrade. I suspect the culprint is the vast amount of coraline growing on all the new surfaces and rocks.

Coral reefer likes this.
  17. Gablami

Gablami Supporting Member

I thought mag was something that could be dosed relatively infrequently. Like pour a bunch in every month or so? I actually haven't even checked my mag yet.

18. Coral reefer

Coral reefer President

I hear this all too often. Why would letting something get depleted than"pouring in a bunch all at once" ever seem like a good strategy. We want stability!

19. bondolo

I am actually pretty good about remembering to do manual dosing but it is as Mike says, it will be more stable with automatic dosing. I also suspect that keeping the mag levels up will help with the inorganic calcium deposition that plagues my pumps and media canisters.

20. Gablami

Gablami Supporting Member

From the brs 2 part instructions, which many of us use.

Once the dose is dialed in continue daily dosing until the gallon jugs of Calcium and Alkalinity are finished. At this point it is time to dose 20oz of the Magnesium solution. This can be done entirely in one dose just remember to add slowly to a high flow area of the tank.