bondolo's combined tanks

Discussion in 'Tank Journals' started by bondolo, Jan 28, 2011.

1. ashburn2k

ashburn2k Webmaster Staff Member

2. NelsonCh

NelsonCh Supporting Member

Yes! Looks great! Glad to see how well its doing. Cant wait till I go over for some samples :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. bondolo

bondolo Supporting Member

I am now expecting to start taking down the tank on July 4th weekend. I have returned the loaner clam @NelsonCh so graciously let me care for since March. It was quite an experience and I am grateful for having the opportunity to try a clam before I left reefing. I have given away a couple of pieces of coral and have made plans for most of the livestock. I currently think I will take down the frag tank first and then the display tank.

Much thanks again to @NelsonCh for the opportunity to "have" a clam for a few months!

Reefee, NelsonCh and Coral reefer like this.
  4. Coral reefer

Coral reefer Past President

I’m happy to help if you need it. Just let me know so I can plan ahead

5. MolaMola

MolaMola Supporting Member

Not sure of my schedule, but if you need a pair of hands to move stuff around (probably not heavy glass tanks) or wash stuff I might be available.

6. ashburn2k

i'd be happy to help too if the timing is right.

7. bondolo

I am probably going to go slow (my only speed) and won't need much assistance. Thank you for the offers!

I would like to find a set of suction cups for moving the very heavy 92G tank downstairs. Anybody got a set I could borrow for a week or so? I plan to hire movers to get it and the 250lb 36" Trinitron HD TV downstairs.

8. ashburn2k

There’s clubs suction cup you can borrow. I won’t need it til July. When are you planing to move the tank?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

9. bondolo

Probably late July. Fairly flexible.

10. Flagg37

Flagg37 Supporting Member

I used to have a 36” trinitron. I heard it was one of the heaviest TVs. The money you spend on movers you should save and just buy a new flat panel. They’re pretty cheap.

11. ashburn2k

they still need to find a way to get the tv out of the house.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

12. Flagg37

Flagg37 Supporting Member

I’m sure if he listed it for free he’d get some response.

13. NelsonCh

NelsonCh Supporting Member

simple solution. smash it into bits and carry pieces out. Much lighter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reefee likes this.
  14. jccaclimber

jccaclimber Supporting Member

P
    When I went to get rid of my CRT TV in 2009 or so I couldn’t give it away, but managed to sell it for something like $25. I listed the price as $25 if the buyer moved it, and $50 if I had to carry it down the stairs.
    The buyers gave me $25, then asked me for a hand. After they realized that hand was going to cost them another $25 they carried it out themselves.

Flagg37 and ashburn2k like this.
  15. bondolo

Hah, I consider moving the TV upstairs in 2011 one of my greatest mistakes, it has been watched about 2 hours since being relocated/banished from the family room. I have wanted it gone for years… Few people are interested in volunteering to move it once they see it.

16. bondolo

A final panorama before lights out on the frag flat.
    IMG_3060 copy.jpg
    Of course I would not normally have the sump lights on during the day.

Coral reefer and ashburn2k like this.
  17. bondolo

Thank greatly to @NelsonCh and his friend for coming by to help with teardown. I was able to clear up some space and got almost everything transfered to the display tank. I will be draining the frag tank tomorrow and replumbing a bit to make the media reactor and calcium reactor inline with the remaining return pump.

Most importantly they helped get the "beast" CRT HD TV down the stairs! This millstone no longer plagues me! I am very thankful for the help in this enormous task.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2019
    Reefee and Coral reefer like this.
  18. sfsuphysics

sfsuphysics Supporting Member

hahah, yeah the TV, that's the real reason you "needed help with the frag tank"

19. bondolo

I found that I had a bunch of stuff that did not fit in to the display tank. I would like to get these out of the tank ASAP so I can finish draining the frag tank. Free to first to come get them. I will probably try to give you other coral as well. ;-)

I have an old 1'x1' Green Marine frag rack encrusted with green psamacora, mummy eye, gold coin leptastrea. There's also a bit of blue on blue cyphastrea that used to cover most of the rack but died back for unkown reasons.

There are also two fist sized chunks of green montipora, one plating and the other encrusting. I also have a large chunk of mixed colony brown and orange plating montipora.

IMG_3072.jpg

If anyone has space there's about a square foot of green psamacora, a similar amount of brown/orange cyphastrea, a bunch of gold coin leptastrea that can be scraped off the tank. When I transferred to this tank about 2 years ago I was able to get it off in one large chunk (you can see the growth line where it changed tanks. If anyone wanted to attempt cyphastrea coating of a Star Walker or other model this would be a good chance to get a lot of material!

IMG_3073.jpg

Reefee likes this.
  20. MolaMola

MolaMola Supporting Member

Checking that you found homes for the encrusters. I would have been there in a flash but am out of town most of the week. Good luck with the frag tank emptying!