High Tide Aquatics

Bonnie's (Natterjak) Tank

Well, I have been MIA on the boards for a while - had problems with my SPS and couldn't quite figure out the cause, got busy and ended up just letting the tank coast for a while. Things were going really well up until that point too - stuff was growing really fast.

Anyways, thought I'd make my long-overdue build post. This is basically the chronicle of the construction of our 180g tank. Enjoy! :)

Our new house had an extra large family room - the previous owner had put up a wall to split it into a smaller family room and 5th bedroom. We decided to make the bedroom into our fish room (and other storage) so that the tank would be in wall and viewable from the family room.

Here's the room beforehand:

fishroom1.jpg

fishroom2.jpg

First thing we did was pull up the old carpet:

fishroom3.jpg

Our foster kittens thought that was a lot of fun:

fishroom4.jpg

Carpet gone:

fishfloor0s.jpg

Then we started cutting into the wall. This was easy, since the wall was an addition, and therefore not load-bearing. One thing we did find though, was that whoever built the wall decided to go the cheap way - they got scrap studs that didn't go the length of the floor to the ceiling, so they literally patched the studs together. They also built the wall right on top of the old carpet. Brilliant.

fishroomwall2.jpg

Studs were cut out, and the opening was framed:

wall_framed1s.jpg

We then painted the floor with Epoxy Shield, which was surprisingly easy to do:

fishfloor1s.jpg

fishfloor2s.jpg

Then we started to build the stand:

stand_base.jpg

stand_base2.jpg

stand1.jpg

stand2.jpg

We primered and painted the stand, and while putting on the final coat of paint, I noticed the stand looked a bit crooked. Turned out I had built the top frame 1" wider than the bottom frame, and it was now a trapezoid. A trapezoid that was glued and nailed together. Oops!

Rather than start all over, we cut an inch out of the sides of the top frame, and pulled them together with glues and screws:

stand_side_s.jpg

Problem solved! :)

The stand was then put into the wall:

stand_inwall_s.jpg

You could see through to the kitchen (which we remodeled at the same time):

stand_inside_s.jpg

The view from the family room:

fishwall_outside_s.jpg

I took a break to dress the dog in a t-shirt:

bandit_clothes.jpg

We got the tank on the stand, and then it took me a week to do all the plumbing for it:

plumbing1.jpg

plumbing2.jpg

plumbing3.jpg

Finally after we leak tested it and everything, we made 180 gallons of water. Here's the tank, nearly full, with a lonely bag of sand:
r />
tankfill1.jpg

And Marc adding more water - next to his head is the rack with the three 250w ROIII pendants:

tankfill2.jpg

With the sand and rocks, the tank was very cloudy:

tankcloudy.jpg

Took a couple of days for all the sand to settle out, and then I was finally able to move over my fish and stuff:

180reef2.jpg

180reef1.jpg

I have a Mag 12 powering the return from the sump, with the returns pointing straight down the back, and a closed loop powered by a Dart with an Oceans Motions 4-way. Flow alternates between coming from the back to the front (close to the bottom), and then back up from the bottom of the tank to the top/rear.

Skimmer is an H&S 200x2-F2001, and I'm in the process of setting up a Geo calcium reactor (have been dosing 2-part thus far). I've rearranged the aquascaping a little bit too. I'll post more current pictures later!

Tank has been up and running for about a year now - lots of ups and downs and dealing with all sorts of stuff - hair algae, dyno, photosynthetic flatworms and most recently cyano. I've been playing around with the aquascaping, but never seem to be satisfied - maybe I just don't have an "eye" for it. :)

Here's a current picture of the tank (not the best photo, sorry):

123_03_01_08_9_48_03.jpg

[quote author=xinumaster link=topic=2768.msg29248#msg29248 date=1199507878]
Very nice set up. Can you take picture of the fish room?
[/quote]

Yup...once I get it clean, hehe. Gonna try to tidy it up this weekend. It's not terribly interesting though.

The only thing I regret is being hasty and ordering the tank before we even bought the new house - had I known I'd have a fish room of this size, I would've gotten a tank twice as deep! ;)

We thought about hiring someone, but it was just me, my husband, and my dad (he had most of the tools). It took about 6 months to get everything done, but that was also with us working at a snail's pace and juggling other projects around the house.

Bonnie - Nice setup! Was wondering what you did to get rid of the hair algae and cyano? Did you chemicals or were you able to handle using critters/fish? Thanks.

I initially tried to manually remove the hair algae - just pulling tufts out by hand. I wasn't able to get it all though. I ended up getting an algae blenny, and I think he and the turbo snails took care of the rest.

For the cyano I just ended up using chemi-clean. We'll see if it comes back or not. I'd been pretty lax on my water changes (think months) up until then, so that probably contributed to the problem.

The dynos were the biggest pain. I'm not even sure how I got rid of them in the end. I was basically blasting it off the rocks daily and collecting it in filter socks. I think I tried boosting my Alk as well. Eventually it just stopped coming back.

I used baked baking soda - chemist geek please interject :D

Chemi-clean is the easist way assuming you follow the directions. It will clear out dino issues as well.

Like Eileen, I used the baked baking soda (washing soda?). It was Randy's formula. That was for the dinos though, not the cyano. For the cyano, I just used the chemi-clean...didn't seem to have any adverse effects on things. I started with a half dose, then dosed the rest 24 hours later.

Back