Borrowing the Club's - Coral Bandsaw

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Enderturtle, Sep 21, 2015.

1. Enderturtle

Enderturtle Volunteer

This will be the first format of rules for lending the bandsaw.

Supporting Members in this club have access to the Inland Reefkeeper Coral Bandsaw.

91060-2.jpg

Rules
    1. Must be a Supporting Member of this Club for at least 2 months.
    2. Must be at least 18 Years Old.
    3. YOU must deliver the bandsaw to a BOD member or the next person waiting in line.
    4. ONLY use the bandsaw for cutting coral.
    5. Do NOT use the bandsaw to cut PVC, Big Live Rock, or anything else.
      • This could instantly damage the blade or dull the blade very fast.
      • Corals ONLY. Small pieces of liverock = OKAY

How do I borrow the bandsaw?
    1. Plan your days with the bandsaw efficiently.
      • Do not borrow the bandsaw when you know you have soccer practice with your kids every evening for the next two weeks.
    2. Send 5$ to the club's paypal address at paypal@bareefers.org
      • Money will be used to buy replacement saw blades.
    3. Send a private message to @Enderturtle with the following contact information
      • Phone Number
      • Address
    4. Your information will be kept private. We just want to be able to get our bandsaw back in case you forget to give it back.
      • We've lost expensive equipment in the past and want to avoid losing more equipment.
    5. You have 14 days to use the bandsaw.
      • If you have been with this club for longer than 1 year, you get up to 21 Days to borrow the saw.
    6. After using the saw, wipe the board off with a paper towel and some tap water.
    Returning the Bandsaw
    • Deliver the bandsaw to a BOD member or the next person waiting in line.
    • We have BOD members throughout the bay area where you can drop the saw off.
    • You have the option of delivering it to the next person who wants to borrow it or bringing it to a BOD member.

How do I use the bandsaw?
    1. Check the bandsaw to make sure it's clean.
    2. You can also read the instructions manual here.
    3. Watch this youtube video.
    4. This is a saw. It probably won't cut your finger off but it can cut you so be careful.
    5. You should be wearing safety glasses.
    6. I do not recommend cutting corals with the saw if you have open wounds on your hands.
    7. Do NOT use the bandsaw to cut zoanthid/palythoa rocks. It is very dangerous.
      • The palythoa toxin can aerosolize, potentially resulting in inhalation of the toxin.
      • More information here.

No More Bandsaw For You
    1. If the bandsaw shows up to you damaged/dirty, you can post in this thread and take a picture of the bandsaw.
      • If the BOD members agrees, the previous user will get a Warning.
    2. If you do not return the saw within 16 days, you get a Warning.
      • Plan your bandsaw days efficiently before borrowing the saw.
    3. If you get 2 Warnings, you're done. No more bandsaw for you.
    4. Clean the board and protect the saw. This is your saw too.
    We want you and everyone else to be able to use the saw again :).

It's really not that hard to use. Watch the video, read the manual, ask people questions. :)

Last edited: Dec 31, 2015
    Coral reefer and jonmos75 like this.
  2. Enderturtle

Enderturtle Volunteer

I think two of the biggest issues we'll face with lending this saw out is
    1. Returning the saw.
      • When lending out the PAR meter, the user had to deliver it to the next person.
      • Meaning if you borrowed it in San Francisco and the next guy wants to use it in San Jose. You had to drive to San Jose or ship it via mail.
      • My plan for this saw is you can either deliver it to the next person or a BOD member who lives somewhat near you.
    2. Protecting the bandsaw.
      • As with any equipment there's going to be maintenance needs. Usually will involve replacing the diamond blade which will cost about 40$

Anyone else here an Inland Bandsaw expert? Any tips on protecting this bandsaw?

Please feel free to give tips on protecting this saw.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2015
  3. Kensington Reefer

Kensington Reefer Supporting Member

For those in my neck of the woods
    I have and am willing to lend the same saw
    All same and similar rules apply

Ahruk and Enderturtle like this.
  4. sfsuphysics

sfsuphysics Supporting Member

But like with all tools (literally and figuratively :D), someone who's unwilling to follow the rules is not exactly going to fess up when they use it to cut LR or something when the blade snaps. Of course they're going to deny doing anything bad, and who knows maybe they are telling the truth and it was the previous user who messed it up and the new user simply got it on it's last leg. Maybe an initial period of seeing how often you need to replace the blade.

Also while there have been a few incarnations of this particular saw since I first used one (one that was not very salt water friendly), removing all traces of saltwater from the blade will also go well to make it last longer. That means after you used it for the session (not after your 14 day period) you'd put freshwater into the water reservoir and let it continue to go to try to get all the water out. I would go so far as to say remove the blade and let it hang to dry, but that might be a bit overkill.

5. HiFidelity

HiFidelity Guest

I support (or propose) the idea of a small "loaner fee" that goes back into bar in form of paypal donation. At least then we are assured a fresh blade every so often.

Maybe $5 or something, we can all afford that, if we have corals that need cutting then we know we can ;)

Vhuang168 likes this.
  6. Enderturtle

Enderturtle Volunteer

Video uploaded.

Anyone that wants to borrow the saw: read the instructions and post here.

It's actually really easy to use if you know what you're doing. Very versatile.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2015
  7. Coral reefer

Coral reefer President

I need to borrow the saw...where's it at?
    @Enderturtle ?

8. Enderturtle

Enderturtle Volunteer

With me in san mateo you can pick up any time.

Just let me know when ya coming.

Also we will need it back for October fragging event.

9. Coral reefer

Coral reefer President

Can you send me your address?

Enderturtle likes this.
  10. iani

iani Guest

The bearing on the top wheel is the part that typically rusts out first. The club should get some silicone lubricant and have people that borrow the bandsaw make sure rinse that bearing in particular and place some silicone lubricant after each use.

Enderturtle likes this.
  11. Coral reefer

Coral reefer President

That's is why I am borrowing it...
    Since we are in the topic, is it easy to replace that bearing when it wears out or is mine toast?

12. iani

iani Guest

Its easy, I've done it a couple times. Call they company and they can sell you a replacement.

Coral reefer likes this.
  13. Chromis

Chromis Supporting Member

Can I borrow the club bandsaw? Need to prepare for the frag swap.

14. Coral reefer

Coral reefer President

I have it in sf. Where are you?

15. Chromis

Chromis Supporting Member

Mountain View. I'll PM you my phone # so we can discuss transfer...

16. Wlachnit

Wlachnit Supporting Member

For the record, I currently have the bandsaw. @ashburn2k is next.

Coral reefer likes this.
  17. ashburn2k

ashburn2k Supporting Member

shotgun claimed, thanks Will