Borrowing the Club's - PAR Meter

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by lattehiatus, Mar 8, 2013.

1. We now have an Apogee MQ-200 PAR meter available for lending to BAR members! This instrument includes a waterproof sensor to measure photosynthetically active radiation at various depths in your aquarium, and features both Sun and Electric calibration modes suitable for virtually all artificial light combinations. It is free to borrow if you're a Supporting Member.

quantum_meter_mq_200_top__53568.1345152288.1280.1280.jpg
    Special thanks to Neptune Aquatics for special-ordering the PAR meter for BAR!​

Rules
    1. Must be a Supporting Member of this Club for at least 2 months.
    2. YOU must deliver the Par Meter to a nearby BOD member or the next person waiting in line.
    3. Do NOT let the display unit get wet since this part is not water proof.

How do I borrow the Par Meter?
    1. Plan your days with the Par Meter efficiently.
      • Do not borrow the Par Meter when you know you have soccer practice with your kids every evening for the next two weeks.
    2. Send a private message to @Enderturtle with the following contact information
      • Phone Number
      • Address
      • Your information will be kept private. We just want to be able to get our Par Meter back in case you forget to give it back.
      • We've lost expensive equipment in the past for a while and want to avoid losing more equipment.
    3. You have 14 days to use the par meter.
    Returning the Par Meter
    • Wipe down the meter after you're done using it. (Remember the handheld display unit is not water proof)
    • Deliver the Par Meter to a BOD member or the next person waiting in line.
    • We have BOD members throughout the bay area where you can drop the Par Meter off.
    • You have the option of delivering it to the next person who wants to borrow it or bringing it to a BOD member.

How do I use the Par Meter?
    1. First off, check to see if it's working.
      • If the meter comes to you broken or damaged post and let a BOD member know ASAP.
      • You are responsible for replacing or repairing the meter if you damage it.
    2. There should be an instructions manual in the box.
    3. You can also read the online instructions manual here.
    No More Par Meter For You If
    1. If the Par Meter shows up to you damaged/dirty, you can post in this thread and take a picture of the meter
      • If the BOD members agrees, the previous user will get a Warning.
    2. If you do not return the Par Meter within 16 days, you get a Warning.
      • Plan your Par Meter days efficiently before borrowing.
    3. If you get 2 Warnings, you're done. No more Par Meter for you.
    4. Clean and protect the Par Meter. This is your Par Meter too.

For questions, tips, and comments, please use this thread.​

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 28, 2015
  2. This will be available to be transferred at the frag swap tomorrow. :)

3. BAYMAC

BAYMAC Guest

Fwiw my cord pulled out on three on mine :(

4. BAYMAC

BAYMAC Guest

The club should get a nice travel case for it as well

5. rygh

rygh Supporting Member

I would like to borrow it.
    I never did get around to testing the LEDs I built.
    But I cannot make it to the swap, so perhaps put me down a ways in the queue.

6. FeliciaLynn

FeliciaLynn Supporting Member

I'd love to take it at the swap if its free. I'd like to check the par on my DIY led fixture.

7. Got any recommendations? If Apogee had a hard case we would have purchased one.

1. FeliciaLynn 3/9 to 3/16
    2. rygh 3/16 - 3/23

Let me know if this doesn't work out for you guys.

8. BAYMAC

BAYMAC Guest

Pelican!

9. Wow I love this survival story from the Pelican website:
    :bigsmile:

10. BAYMAC

BAYMAC Guest

My hardcore traveling friends all use them. They'll send out repair parts free quite often

11. denzil

denzil Webmaster

I ended up zip-tying the cable to the sensor so that the sensor would always remain upright. It's a great unit other than that (so far).

12. FeliciaLynn

Great! Mark (rygh), where do you live so that I can make sure getting it to you next should work.

13. sfsuphysics

sfsuphysics Supporting Member

If someone who's borrowing it is in/around San Francisco, I don't even need to borrow it for a whole week, just 20 minutes so I can see how much light my LEDs are putting out vs. my MH bulbs :D

14. FeliciaLynn

I've got it now and don't need it for the whole week if you'd like to get it in a couple days and then pass it off to rygh. I'm in Berkeley.

15. sfsuphysics

sfsuphysics Supporting Member

I dunno, where does Rygh live, if it might be too much trouble if he's particularly far away and/or I have to cross too many bridges :D

16. FeliciaLynn

I don't know where he lives yet. I need to figure that out so I can hand it off to him next.

17. rygh

rygh Supporting Member

I am in Union City. Near Dumbarton Bridge.
    Although I do plan in being in Berkeley Saturday 23'rd.

18. denzil

denzil Webmaster

How do you like it so far, Felicia?

19. FeliciaLynn

Oh ok. Well if there's not a long list of people waiting on it, maybe I can wait that long to give it to you. Otherwise we can work out a meet up. I could always drive down there for an excuse to coral shop if need be.

Denzil, it seems to work well. Its really easy to use, and thanks for fixing the issues with the cord and the sensor. :) My DIY LED fixture looks good. Its just over 100 on the sand, 200 in the middle, and 300 up by my SPS corals. I measured the T5 fixture (4 T5 bulbs) on my frag tank and its AWFUL. I only got about 70 at the surface of the water. Ugh! Time to put a DIY LED fixture on that tank too. At least I learned how awful it was before I was wondering why everything looked unhappy.

20. rygh

rygh Supporting Member

Update:
    Since there is nobody pushing to get it right away, the plan is to save some driving and meet up on 3/23.
    So PAR meter users:
    Felicia = Now to 3/23
    Rygh = 3/23 to 3/30