Borrowing the Club's - PAR Meter

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by lattehiatus, Mar 8, 2013.

1. Gablami

Gablami Supporting Member

I updated when I passed it along.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Chromis

Chromis Guest

3. Chromis

Chromis Guest

4. scuzy

scuzy Supporting Member

I thought is was after yellowjello but I can wait as I'm going on vacation.

5. Coral reefer

Coral reefer President

The amount of use this thing is getting makes me think we should buy some more club equipment...

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
    Newjack likes this.
  6. yellojello

yellojello Supporting Member

Taking me a while but should be done by next weekend. Did my new ATS leds, and main display tank with 1 year+ old bulbs. 250w radiums SE. Initial readings is about 750 under water surface, then going down 500, then 350, then about 120-150 at sand (24" tank height).

Going to put in my new bulbs and test again. Reflectors sitting at 8" above water, but want to raise to 10" and 12" to see how much less it gets so I can acclimate without screen cover (which I don't have).

I just added a single t5 ATI purple plus, but doesn't really do much for par. Wanted Coral Plus but Neptune was sold out. Purple Plus is cool for sunrise / sunset. Reefbrite blue doesn't have any par either (it is like 700-1000ish right at LED, but no lens means almost no par into the water)

I think after we start collecting more data in the PAR reading thread, should alleviate the wait list a little bit.

7. Bruce Spiegelman

Bruce Spiegelman Supporting Member

Centralized QT set-up! :)

8. Coral reefer

Coral reefer President

At Bruce's apt!

9. Bruce Spiegelman

Till the first guy wanted to QT his brand spankin new Gem tang at my place and it *cough* "died."

Wlachnit and Coral reefer like this.
  10. yellojello

yellojello Supporting Member

I would feel so bad if it "died" in my QT. On the other hand, I think I can increase the rarity and value of my QT method of a Gem Tang... which morphs it into a Yellow Tang hybrid.

11. Flagg37

Flagg37 Officer at large

I had read an article on ReefBuilders about ICP testing (triton type testing) and they reported that there was a LFS that bought one of the machines that do the testing. I know the average LFS doesn't make boat loads of money so I was wondering just how much those units cost and if the club and some sponsors (@robert4025) wanted to join in on one. I know they're expensive but I'm not sure how much they are. The link ReefBuilders left was http://www.lqa.com/ it's actually a company in foster city. Of course they don't list their prices and have you call for a quote. It peaked my interest though.

12. Coral reefer

Coral reefer President

Call them up, probably too expensive...but worth a call

Newjack likes this.
  13. OnTheReef

OnTheReef OnTheReef (Eric)

Yes @Coral reefer, I think we ought to pick up a BioTek Marine BTM3000. It's the same sensor that's in the Apogee MQ-210, only it uses software on a Mac or PC to do the measurements and logging, instead of the handheld meter. This makes logging easy, as measurements are stored on the local filesystem. It's $195. I picked one up for myself, since the queue for the club's meter is so deep. Also, for club members near me, I'd be willing to come by with a MacBook Pro and the sensor, so you can take some PAR readings.

Newjack and Ashalye like this.
  14. Bruce Spiegelman

INteresting. If it';s too expensive I wonder if we could have a special funding drive. That's an item we could all get a lot of really valuable use out of!

15. Vhuang168

Vhuang168 Supporting Member

I have the Neptune PMK in the South Bay if anyone in the club want to borrow it. Must have an apex of course

16. OnTheReef

OnTheReef OnTheReef (Eric)

Just did a quick check on eBay, it appears the price range for used/refurbished SQ ICP MS units for detecting trace elements in the ppt to ppm range in a desktop to cabinet size unit is $1k ~ $20k. Might be worth calling Agilent, ThermoFisher, Perkin-Elmer, etc and see what refurb units are currently available. I would absolutely contribute to a special campaign for something like this; we could do it as a gofundme or an indiegogo, where the pledges are not called unless we make the fundraising goal.

17. Bruce Spiegelman

Me too. Probably doable if it's in the 1K range too.

18. Ibn

Ibn Supporting Member

The unit, Agilent Technologies ICP-OES, that was referenced in the article was purchased by a Stone Aquatics in Denver, CO. I think it was ~$25-30k for the unit and the owner, who has a chemistry background, had to be trained to be able to use the equipment.

Vincent, the PMK, comes with the ASM to connect to as well correct? How much of a PAR shift are you seeing on the daily with your lights?

19. Vhuang168

Vhuang168 Supporting Member

Ok, before we take this any further, let's look at the logistics.

Who is going to house it? Are we going to have 1 person house it and we send we send in samples or move it around as we do the Par meter right now.

Do we really want to have a possibly multi thousand dollar machine being moved from house to house and risk being damaged?

How often does it need to be calibrated and how much will it cost?

And let's be honest here. How often are you going to want to go out and pickup a desktop to cabinet sized machine to check your trace levels?

As of right now, an outside test costs $40 and a little time. Is it really cost effective to buy?

20. Ibn

Ibn Supporting Member

All good points.

Not really cost effective with the service in Colorado already launched and testing at $30/test or $25/test for a 4 pack.

https://www.icp-analysis.com/