Borrowing the Club's - PAR Meter

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by lattehiatus, Mar 8, 2013.

1. sfsuphysics

sfsuphysics Supporting Member

Alrighty shoot me a PM and we'll meet up and swap it somewhere. Then if Christopher pops back in you can give to him.

2. gunit

gunit Guest

I'd like to put my name in line.

I'm in SF too so if it's still up around these parts hopefully I can make super quick use of it. I also work down in Mountain View for future reference.

3. euod

euod Supporting Member

Where about are you in sf?

4. gunit

gunit Guest

I'm in Lower Haight.

5. euod

euod Supporting Member

You can get it now and I will get it from you later. Thanks

6. gunit

gunit Guest

Awesome thanks man. Mike PMd you. Euod@ you in SF too?

7. euod

euod Supporting Member

Yes in SF, only a few blocks from you.

8. sfsuphysics

Passed it on to Greg (gunit) this afternoon.

G-unit or Gun-it?

9. gunit

gunit Guest

G-unit...Long story short some friends called me just G for a awhile and another group of friends went through a period where they added "unit" to everything...hence g-unit

10. gunit

gunit Guest

I'm all done with the meter. Euod you're up next right?

11. gunit

gunit Guest

Hey euod, I just noticed your status is "Expired" are you no longer a supporting member? What's the protocol on this if that's so?

12. gunit

gunit Guest

Handed off the meter to euod on Friday.

13. euod

euod Supporting Member

Thanks Gunit.
    Delivering to Hifidelity on Tues.

14. revo

revo Guest

Just curious but did the Club get a case for the meter? I have a Fluke hard case that I am willing to donate if it interested.

Attached Files:

15. sfsuphysics

Someone in the club used a Wusthof knife case, it has foam padding inside, and seems to hold the meter very nicely, although you do need to make sure the cord is properly wound up and doesn't stick out.

revo likes this.
  16. HiFidelity

HiFidelity Guest

PAR meter received from euod today and after looking at it for a few minutes I wanted to get your opinions/permission to do something;

The wand, bracket, stick whatever you wanna call it thing is pretty flimsy. It's basically a coat hanger that was heated, bent then ziptied to a piece of acrylic, I snapped a pic;
    [​IMG]

Also included was some pvc tubing but I don't know what it's for, unless it serves a vital role and I'm failing to figure out what that is, I wanted to ask if it's ok to rebuild the "wand" without the wobbly coat hanger part, basically I was thinking of taking my cutting disk and slitting the short end of the pvc then slide that acrylic piece into the slit & gluing them together. This way we'll have a much nicer and sturdier "wand" to use with this PAR meter. By the way the pvc pipe is longer than the coat hanger so it would make life easier for those who have deeper tanks.
    here's a pic of the item in question;
    [​IMG]

If I end up doing this I will also put a fist full of rubber bands into the box with the meter so that anyone who uses it after me can rubber band the sensor wire to the pipe so it's not flopping all over the inside of the tank during measurements :)

What say you fellow BARs

Last edited: Oct 15, 2014
  17. sfsuphysics

The PVC was the original "wand" in a similar fashion the acrylic bracket was zip tied to the end of PVC pipe with the 45 degree angle so that it could be held in the tank. The piece of plastic hanger was a much more recent thing, perhaps made by people with smaller tanks?

Both were user made inventions and not part of the original meter so I don't see anything wrong with redoing the way the wand works.

18. aqua-nut

aqua-nut Supporting Member

Hey, wait a minute! That was a VERY special piece of PVC. It came from my collection of leftovers! :D:D:D

Go for it, Fidel. The PVC was a diy so the sensor could be held in my 24" deep tank without my body parts casting a shadow! I think the 'coat hanger' and acrylic were contributed by pinner. Don't know for sure because your pics are not showing up.:(

19. HiFidelity

HiFidelity Guest

haha I do like the PVC "wand" it's simple yet effective lol
    I think dropbox limits linking... I'll move the photos to photobucket, I'm going to cut & glue a new & improved wand today :) (with pics of course)

20. HiFidelity

HiFidelity Guest

John I fixed the before pics :)

I did it, I fixed our wand, weeeeeeee
    here are some after pics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

oh & I also threw this baggie in with the PAR meter :)

[​IMG]

Now who's next on the list? I'll be done using this thing in a couple of days...