Reef nutrition

brackish water fishes in reef tank?

haha I almost laughed but after digging around it appears that you can keep certain species of fish that typically live in brackish water to live & try to breed in a reef tank... I guess Guppies & Black Sailfin Mollies have been done and they reproduce like crazy and some eat hair algae thus making them good citizens in a reef tank.

Anyone done it? heard about it?

Pretty funny thought. All that fancy coral, expensive fish .... and Guppies.
:D

But if you need a small herbivore, and if they actually eat the algae, might be handy for
a small tank.
I have only heard of it being done as feeder fish for carnivores that want truly live prey.

Yep heard about Mollies. I read recently about the red tailed guppies in specific.

Since both fish reproduce like rabbits, the eggs and fry could be beneficial food for corals and fish, but don't know if there is a study around that.

I have heard about black mollies being kept. From what heard its all in the acclimation. The mollies need to be acclimated to full salt very slowly over several weeks to have success. I think there was a Mike Paletta video on you tube that he talks about this.

I've got two baby Mollies in a 10g tank I use as frag/coral QT. SG 1.026.

Got them from a friend. He got the mom already acclimated and soon after she was put in his tank she gave birth. I got the babies about a week after they were born. I fed them spirulina flake for a while. The tank has lots of hair algae so I don't feed them any more. They are growing so I figure they get what they need from the tank.

I'm hoping to use them as algae grazers in a frag tank that is too small for a tang.

As to poop...

Don't all grazers poop lots? My tang and foxface do, the snails are HUGE poopers.

To butcher a computer idiom, 'Algae in, poop out'! :)

Yep heard about Mollies. I read recently about the red tailed guppies in specific.

Since both fish reproduce like rabbits, the eggs and fry could be beneficial food for corals and fish, but don't know if there is a study around that.

Not many eggs from them... both are live bearers ;)

Mollies are great at marine algae control.

Back