Reef nutrition

Brass fittings in an R/O system?

I picked up an extra 10" canister from BRS a few weeks back so that I can add a 2nd GAC canister to increase the contact time in order to reduce chloramines coming from the tap. I also want to add a couple of pressure gauges to monitor cartridge performance and a bypass valve just after the last GAC canister to aid in per-rinsing the GAC. In order to do that I need to use a couple of Tees in the system. I thought about using 1/4" PVC but that's not something I'm going to get local and I don't want to pay $15 in freight for $5 worth of PVC fittings.

Is there any reason why I couldn't use brass fittings instead of PVC in this situation? I already have copper pipe and brass fittings leading up to the R/O system now. I can't think of a reason not to but thought I'd ask to make sure I'm not overlooking something simple here.

~Charlie

Shipping at Mcmaster should be~10 (cheaper than 15) and you can use that opportunity to get all sorts of supplies that are hard to get elsewere :)

BRS only goes down to 1/2" for threaded PVC fittings unfortunately. I did order some 1/4" close nipples from BRS yesterday. I had a few other things to pick up so freight wasn't that bad.

I looked at McMaster too but I never could figure out how to get the freight charges without placing an order. For $10 I could do that if I picked up a couple of other things. I haven't ordered by flexible shafts yet :)

~Charlie

Is there any reason why I couldn't use brass fittings instead of PVC in this situation?

As long as the brass is before the RO membrane you should be fine, highly purified water does get a bit chemically aggressive otherwise.

Piper said:
BRS only goes down to 1/2" for threaded PVC fittings unfortunately. I did order some 1/4" close nipples from BRS yesterday. I had a few other things to pick up so freight wasn't that bad.

I looked at McMaster too but I never could figure out how to get the freight charges without placing an order. For $10 I could do that if I picked up a couple of other things. I haven't ordered by flexible shafts yet :)

~Charlie

It isn't easy to find out charges for shipping. They probably figure most people ordering are not "people", so it isn't a big deal.

I just checked a couple orders I placed for work and it looks like they get you the lowest price possible

Merchandise 10.65
Shipping 5.09

Merchandise 50.74
Shipping 6.45

Merchandise 325.69
Shipping 22.32 (came in 2 boxes)

Gomer said:
Piper said:

~Charlie

It isn't easy to find out charges for shipping. They probably figure most people ordering are not "people", so it isn't a big deal.

I just checked a couple orders I placed for work and it looks like they get you the lowest price possible

Merchandise 10.65
Shipping 5.09

Merchandise 50.74
Shipping 6.45

Merchandise 325.69
Shipping 22.32 (came in 2 boxes)

Agreed
here are my shipping charges from mcmaster
Merchandise 24.44
Sales Tax 2.14
Shipping 4.72
Total $31.30