Breaking down 14 gallon tank - LOTS OF CORALS AND A FEW INVERTS FOR SALE or TRADE! :D

Discussion in 'Buy, Sell, Trade' started by Euphyllia, May 2, 2009.

1. Euphyllia

Euphyllia Guest

So I'm breaking down my 14 gallon tank due to super-invasive, coral smothering, terribly ugly, extremely evil hair algae of doom.

Now for the reason you clicked on this thread: CORALS FOR SALE! :D
    Note: I'm only sellin/trading the corals at the next two BAR meetings (no hose pickups etc...)

ALL MY CORALS ARE FOR SALE THAT I LIST!
    Also, I might trade my neon frogspawn for a Rose Anemone depending on the size of the anemone and might add in a few more pieces of coral if the anemone if big. I also might trade a couple different pieces of my corals for a Rose Anemone (amount of coral depending on the size of the anemone). So if you might be willing to do one of those trades post a picture of the anemone and the size and which corals from the list below you want.

Below is the prices and types of coral I would sell or trade a few for an RBTA... (for more details on a specific coral just ask)

CORALS:
    #1. Neon Fragospawn - very bright neon green tips. Opens about 5"-7" across and 4"-5" back - $50 HAS 8 HEADS!
    #2. Aussie Hammer Coral - green tentacles with nice purple tips. Opens about 3"-5" each way - $25 HAS 8 HEADS!
    #3. Frogspawn - greenish-brown tentacles with whitish tips. Opens 1"x1" - $10
    #4. Colt Coral - opens 3" wide and 4" tall - $9
    #5. Colt Coral - opens 3" wide and 3.5" tall - $8
    #6. Blue acan/brain coralish thing? - very easy for me to keep and is growing pretty quick. 1.5"x1" - SOLD
    #7. Xenia - 4" tall and 4"+ wide when fully open - SOLD
    #8. Zoas - red with green/yellow dot in center. High lighting will make them have more color! 35+ polyps - SOLD

#9. Zoas - brown with big polyps. 25+ polyps and one medium sized green mushroom attached to rock- SOLD

#10. Pink Palys frag - not a vibrant pink due to my PC lighting. Will brighten up in a couple months under high lights! - SOLD

#11. Zoa & mushroom mystery pack - Comes with small rock of zoas of various types and bright electric green mushrooms attached to rocks/rubble (these are just random zoas and stuff too small to sell individually) - SOLD

INVERTS:
    #1. Pom-pom crabs (no pom-poms) if I can catch them - $5 each
    (britle stars and other things will be listed as found!)

BTW, first come first serve! Remember I'll also take a RBTA for a couple of the corals and or neon frogspawn depending on how big RBTA is! :D

2. Euphyllia

Euphyllia Guest

3. bossybears

bossybears Guest

hi, where are you located? Can i buy the following?

#6. Blue acan/brain coralish thing? - very easy for me to keep and is growing pretty quick. 1.5"x1" - $8
    #8. Zoas - red with green/yellow dot in center. High lighting will make them have more color! 35+ polyps - $15 (15+ brown zoas on rock too)
    #9. Zoas - brown with big polyps. 25+ polyps and one green mushroom - $8
    #10. Pink Palys frag - not a vibrant pink due to my PC lighting. Will brighten up in a couple months under high lights! - $5
    #11. Zoa & mushroom mystery pack - Comes with small rock of zoas of various types and bright electric green mushrooms attached to rocks/rubble (these are just random zoas and stuff too small to sell individually) - $5 or less depending on what

4. Euphyllia

Euphyllia Guest

Sorry, but I'm only selling them to BAR members. If you do decide to become a BAR member, let me know, and I'd be very happy to sell you the corals you picked.

5. Knucklehead

Knucklehead Guest

have pics of the blue acan?

6. adolfo425

adolfo425 Guest

might be interested in the blue acan and mystery rock with zoa and shroom.

Where are you at?

7. bossybears

bossybears Guest

talk about LAME!

8. Euphyllia

Euphyllia Guest

Here is a picture of it. It is the blue thing in the back corner of the tank. It might show even more color under florescents of halides. I got it at a one of the raffles at the meeting and it wasn't labeled. I saw somebody at BARMAC selling them and he said they were a species of brain coral but they looked sort of acan-like to me. It grows connected in a colony like acans do and currently has four mouths so far.

Attached files /attachments/sites/default/files/DSC02323.JPG

9. Euphyllia

Euphyllia Guest

I'm only selling/trading off the corals at BAR meetings so I don't want to schedule a pickup or anything.
    Here is a picture of the shrooms and the zoas you'll probably get are brown with an orange dot in the center. The colors went dull under my lights, but will look better under higher lighting.

Heres the picture of the green shrooms around the blue acanish/braincoralish thing...

Attached files /attachments/sites/default/files/DSC02323_0.JPG

10. Euphyllia

Euphyllia Guest

I just sold #6, #10, and #11 and I'm lowering the price on the neon frogspawn to $50. I'll make to updates on the main post.

11. Orion

Orion Guest

I am interested in the following

#7. Xenia - 4" tall and 4"+ wide when fully open - $10 (bought for $40)
    #8. Zoas - red with green/yellow dot in center. High lighting will make them have more color! 35+ polyps - $15 (15+ brown zoas on rock too)
    #9. Zoas - brown with big polyps. 25+ polyps and one medium sized green mushroom attached to rock- $8

12. Gomer

Gomer Honorary Member

weren't these pom-poms your most favorite things in your reef? I know you are passionate about the hobby, but it appears you are just in it for the "experience" of owning a reef :( I still really think that you are going about this TOTALLY wrong. You have a problem which has a good learning experience solution, and you don't want to take that path.

When you get in a car accident, and you end up with a dented door, you don't send the car to the scrap heap and buy a new one. You get the car fixed.

13. Euphyllia

Euphyllia Guest

I do agree with you about what you said, but I'm not in the hobby just for the experience. I enjoy taking care of my aquariums and watching the marine life. If I weren't passionate about this hobby do you think I'd really even care to spend all of my time, money, and effort to learn about and keep my tanks? The reason I'm deciding to reset up my 14g tank is because I've spent more than the cost of resetting it up on a bunch of things to try and stop the hair algae and none of it has helped. I'd rather take it down and start from scratch and do the mods and things that people suggest so I can keep my tanks cleaner and healthier.

14. Euphyllia

Euphyllia Guest

OK. So if you're going to be at the meeting on the 13th of June I can get them to you then but If you won't be able to make the June meeting I can always bring them to meeting on the 8th of August. Which meeting would be better for your schedule?

15. Euphyllia

Euphyllia Guest

Here's a list of what's left. I'm lowering the prices on one or two of the corals...

#1. Neon Fragospawn - very bright neon green tips. Opens about 5"-7" across and 4"-5" back - $45 HAS 8 HEADS!
    #2. Aussie Hammer Coral - green tentacles with nice purple tips. Opens about 3"-5" each way - $20 HAS 8 HEADS!
    #3. Frogspawn - greenish-brown tentacles with whitish tips. coral tissue opens 1"x1" (size not including the stalk) - $8
    #4. Colt Coral - opens 3" wide and 4" tall - $8
    #5. Colt Coral - opens 3" wide and 3.5" tall - $7

ASK IF YOU WOULD LIKE MORE INFO AND A PICTURE OF ONE OR MORE OF THE CORALS! :)

16. sfsuphysics

sfsuphysics Supporting Member

IIRC one of the meetings has been rescheduled due to conflicts with BAYMAC, I can't recall if it's the June or August meeting, since the August one is the frag swap, I'm guessing June... if someone would update the button called "meetings" that'd be great ;)

17. Lyn

Lyn Guest

You can do the modifications without getting rid of your whole tank contents. I did that with my 12 gallon about 8 months in, and after I got some great advice from people in BAR. Before that, I felt like restarting too. Instead, I did a lot of water changes and kept the tank running; that way, I didn't have to recycle the tank all over again. My algae problems cleared up, and the tank has been quite happy for the last 8 months. It takes some work; I do 2 water changes a week, and I am constantly looking for any problems. Such small tanks can "tank" quickly because of their small water volumn.

People are willing to help you with your tank problems if you are willing to put forth the effort and not give up. I believe people would like to see some stick-to-it-ive-ness on your part.

I agree with Gomer. If you have a favorite coral, why are you getting rid of it? It will cost you more money in the long run. If you are really passionate about this hobby, you would not "throw in the towel" so easily.

18. Euphyllia

Euphyllia Guest

The reason I'm selling my corals in the 14g is because I prefer anemones. I think they are a lot more fun to take care of and Id honestly rather have anemones than coral. I am keeping a few small pieces of coral, but other than that I want to sell the rest of it. Once the coral is out and the algae problem is gone, I was planning on upgrading the lights and putting in a medium sized anemone.

I came up with a different plan that might work. There are some cons to it, but it might be better than resetting up the entire system. I was thinking that once I've sold all my corals, I could take all the rocks out with hair algae (which is all of them), scrub all the hair algae off the glass and out of the filter chambers, put in a new layer of live sand, put in all new rocks in place of the old ones, and do a 50% water change and I'd do all the mods that you guys suggested. I'm guessing then the tank will have to go through another cycling process, so I'd have to wait a few months to put things into it. Does that sound like a better plan?

19. Orion

Orion Guest

the june 13th sounds great.

20. Euphyllia

Euphyllia Guest

I've recently been informed that the meeting is on June 6th. I'm not exactly sure on what the date is, but if nothing else comes up I'll be at the June meeting!