Our mission

Bryan (seminolecpa's) Tank

Remember all of the issues I was having with the STNing of my SPS? I ran the gammit of things in my tank to figure out what the problem was including

1) adding sand
2) temporarily taking the reactor off line
3) changing the directionality of my flow
4) completely cleaning out my sump
5) changing from RC to Tropic Marin Pro

Something seemed to have worked as the problem (knock on wood) has seemed to have gone away and the corals are growing both down and up now.

No sure what did it but I think it was a combo of the sand and changing out my salt. Hard to say I wanted to fix the issue ASAP so I didn't try stuff in stages to pinpoint the exact problem.

it verywell could have been a combination of the above. Atleast you figured it out. Seeing your coral slowly "atrophy" has gotta suck.

Where do you get Tropic Marin Pro? I am using RC (bag, not bucket) and after hearing all the crap with RC, am tempted to switch over before the "if my salt is bad" happens.

Bryan, I still use RC salt, but glad you stopped your issues. let me know if you want to drop in and join the tour - remember how much fun the Northbay one was.

Gomer - no you don't need to have sand for a clam.

Tony,

Got my salt from Dr. Fosters. shipping is based on value not on weight so it makes it very doable. Especially if you order multiple buckets. It is a little pricier the the others but it mixes 200G and was designed to be used for higher SG then some of the other salts. So far so good. Too many cooincidences with RC for my taste. Again can't say it had anything to do with the issue but with the money I have invested dodn't want to chance it at all. I know I was not the only one having this problem and it seemed to keep coming up as the common denominator.

Arnold,

Would love to come but the wife is traveling during the week for the next 3 weeks so the weekends have to be hers. I already got the kitchen pass for the BACFM and the BOD meeting so I didn't want to push my luck. seen many of the tanks already anyway.

TM is bomb, I picked up a fresh bucket today (secret spot, as we say in the surfing world).

Glad to hear your problems have subsided Bryan, mystery problems suck.

So I am about to seriously change the overall setup of my tank. The main display tank will remain (still the 72 bow), but it will now be plumbed under the house and to the garage. The frag tank will also remain and will be completely used as a frag tank (yes it will be bigger then my display tank at 82 gallons) and both will be connected on the same water system. Will have both tanks as well as a 29 gallon refugium drain into a 65 gallon sump. The refugium, the sump and another tank that will be a mixing tank/top of reservior will be on a rack next to the frag tank in my garage. All equipment etc will now be located in my garage.

First step is done thanks in big part to some help from Mikey (hooked). I now have the drain line and return lines plumbed under the house and to the garage.

Next steps will involve getting the tanks, and plumbing the whole water system together.

Hoping for some input from the peanut gallery at the BOD BBQ next weekend. I attached a very crude diagram from my head (missing a few things but you will get the general idea).

Should be an interesting process and hopefully work very well when complete.

I will post some up tomorrow when my lights are on. Just got finished feeding it and my other LPS. Need to post some pics of it and the other goodies I picked up at the BACFM too.

Been way to preoccupied with the new garage plumbing setup.

Ok finally put the tools down for a bit to take some pictures.I have made a great deal of progress but I still have a huge laundry list of things to complete.

I picked up my new sump a 65G tank and temporarily connect my frag tank to it.

I got the main pump and return lines run all the way to the new sump though not yet connected to the main tank

I got the new refugium set up and running and temporarily plumbed into the sump.

I have temporarily plumbed the frag tank to the new sump

Here are some progress pictures:

Side view of rack

20080515_7.jpg

sump

20080515_1.jpg

fuge

20080515_2.jpg

20080515_6.jpg

Fragenstein

20080515_3.jpg

Drain Line from main tank

20080515_4.jpg

Return line and some temporary plumbing

20080515_5.jpg

Items still left:

1) Disconnect old sump from upstairs and clean out all in sump equipment.
2) Disconnect chiller
3) Disconnect all old plumbing lines
4) Drain main tank and move back, connect to lines coming up from garage
5) Connect chiller and permanent plumbing for frag tank and refugium
6) Set up calcium reactor and dial in with tank
7) Set up top off tank and plumb to sump
8) Build a pvc box or some other mechanism to house filter socks from drain
9) Buy a Bubble Master 200 to replace my existing Euro Reef CS-6-2
10) Remap my wiring and build a box to house powerstrips
11) Buy a RK Elite (if they ever come out)

Ok so did some more plumbing last night and picked up this baby. Will be adding a 1/4 chiller next week. Hope to have the whole thing up and running by next weekend.

20080516_3.jpg

20080516_4.jpg

20080516_5.jpg

20080516_6.jpg

20080516_7.jpg

BTW Brian I posed up pics of the hurricane to the DBTC thread.

Back