Our mission

BTA - Surgery or Not?

So I introduced a baby BTA into my tank yesterday... and it decided to walk clear across to the other side, find a spot in a frag chunk facing, and somewhat under a yuma...

I decided to leave it last night figuring it would sort itself out. Woke up to this... :/

Trying to decide if I should cut it in half to separate the fuzz from the good side or roll the dice and let nature take its course in hopes of the BTA sorting itself out.... the mouth is fuzzed over as well.

If it weren't so small and so new, it'd be surgery time... but given the scenario, I'm undecided. Thoughts?
SmartSelectImage_2018-03-08-15-47-09.jpg

Came home and the nem looked extremely necroptic so had to do emergency surgery...

I originally just bisected the nem to save as much good tissue as possible while going through the mouth...but then decided to cut the other side with the greatest amount of dead tissue in half again since once quarter of that had more healthy tissue. Figured it be a hail mary...

Unfortunately no cipro on hand but I did put the pieces on frag disks in a QT tank...

Attachments

• SmartSelectImage_2018-03-08-19-04-14.jpg
    SmartSelectImage_2018-03-08-19-04-14.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 196
  • SmartSelectImage_2018-03-08-19-04-33.jpg
    SmartSelectImage_2018-03-08-19-04-33.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 189
  • SmartSelectImage_2018-03-08-19-04-54.jpg
    SmartSelectImage_2018-03-08-19-04-54.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 194
Yeah, blew my mind -- i never would have thought that to happen, which is why I left the nem where it was. The dying tissue on the BTA started where it contacted the yuma.

Sadly, by the time I got home more than half of the nem was gone... and turned out surgery was too late. Woke up this morning to jello blobs.

I was really hopeful last night as the portion I cut began sticking and moving on it's own... there was a bit of the damage tissue attached that I couldn't get off but figure it would be shed or healed. Bummer...really liked the looks of it too.

The only silver lining is that I got the nem out before it affected the tank it was in, which would have been BAD. Several high-end bounces, eclectus shrooms, and unique nems amongst other things shared the same tank with it.

Back