Cali Kid Corals

Buckets with water tight lids?

So I have been using 6 gallon reliance water jugs for making saltwater for a while now. They are a basically big gas cans for water. I absolutely hate these containers. The opening is so small that I can't fit a powerhead to mix and I have to use a funnel to add salt.

Where can I buy a couple 5g buckets with water tight lids? Instant ocean buckets would work but I'd need to use a lot more salt to get enough. ☺

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

Try to find some aquavitro salinity buckets, they have a good locking mechanism for the lid and there is a rubber gasket in there to make them air tight as well.

Try to find some aquavitro salinity buckets, they have a good locking mechanism for the lid and there is a rubber gasket in there to make them air tight as well.

Reminds me a bit of the old Instant Ocean buckets with the screw down lids.

Man I had loads of them from my old 140g before I moved. Haha never thought I'd need them.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

You can buy gama lids that go on most 5 gallon buckets. They work really well. Go online to look for them. They are the same lid they use for the dog food containers you see at pet stores.

I like the home depot buckets with the cheap snap on lids. They're not water tight if say the bucket were laying on its side, but if you're just worried about water sloshing out when carrying them around then the Home Depot buckets work great and are super cheap.

I think I'm going to get a couple gamma lids and use Lowe's buckets (blue matches better with the decor. Hehe)...

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Lowes also has clear buckets that are calibrated. Gallons on one side, liters on the other.
I bought a couple of them and use them for water changes. Makes it very easy to measure out the water.
These buckets come with blue, snap-on lids. But, these lids are not as secure as the white ones.

Lowes also has clear buckets that are calibrated. Gallons on one side, liters on the other.
I bought a couple of them and use them for water changes. Makes it very easy to measure out the water.
These buckets come with blue, snap-on lids. But, these lids are not as secure as the white ones.
What?! These sound awesome! And to think I've been using the ugly home depot buckets. I'm always too lazy to drive all the way down to Lowes. Now I may have to :)

They're $5 + $3 for the lid at Lowes. I picked up two today:
Perfect size for water change water, and the lid with pop up spout provides a perfect spot to run the power cord for an old Koralia 1 to mix things up. I think I'm going to like these a LOT better than my grey water jerry-cans:
IMG_20140720_164722.jpg

Interesting. I picked up two for Felicia yesterday but did not see those lids. I got the same blue lids that I have.
They had white lids similar to these without the spout. But, they did not fit the buckets well.

Back