Reef nutrition

Bula's 65 gallon reef tank

Bula

I told myself I would start a Tank Journal by the October meeting. So here goes:

I own a 65 gallon Mega flow aquarium with the following dimensions: of 36w x 18 deep x 25h. I have had this aquarium for three years with various corals. Late last year I decided to create an SPS oriented aquarium following a lighting failure. In January I purchase a Dual 400 watt 20k MH Hamilton deluxe canopy per the recommendation from a LFS. I think this was over kill but I did not know any better ( I keep them on for about 7 hours). I recently purchased a calcium reactor/CO2 to help maintain my tank. To finish off with my tank set up, I have garbage pale for a sump with a Mag 7 return. I have two Hydor Koralia one small and one medium sizes. I also have a hang on Remora Skimmer which creates these tiny bubbles that drive me crazy. I recently put a container around the return to capture the bubbles but some still enter the tank but not as much as before.

Currently, I have a mix of SPS from the frag swap and from today’s October Board meeting. Both of these events were an awesome experience by the way. Thanks to BAR, not just for the free coral but the good vib I got from those who attended and who put it on.

So here are my tank stats and test kit used:

Calcium 460 (salifert)
Alk 11.8 dKh (salifert)
Ph 8 (Tetra)
Mag 1360 (red Sea)
Salinity 1.025/33

Fish

Pipe Fish
2 Pajama Fish
Nemo
Damsel
Coral Beauty

My goal is to create a healthy SPS tank. Right now I am trying to get some of SPS to color-up and for the polyps to come out especially for the two Milli’s I have…Here are some pictures. Love to hear your thoughts to "Pimp My Tank" to the next level. I am ready to learn and try new things. I will probably try to Aqua Sculpt the tank given the info received today.

John aka Bula

Attached files /attachments/sites/default/files/IMG_1086.JPG /attachments/sites/default/files/IMG_1088.JPG /attachments/sites/default/files/IMG_1097.JPG

looking good John, How about a fts and maybe pics of your equipment set up . sump or no sump, canopy? a little more info before any suggestions to be made ;)

thanks for sharing

Sergio

OK, will take a couple of more shots of the equipment and canopy and FTS (I assume that means full tank shot). I will post tomorrow.

Bula

Thanks to the help and generousity of many BAR members, my corals are showing growth and are coloring very nicely. Some the recent upgrades include XM bulbs 20k 400 watt, new Eheim 1260 sump pump and I added another Koralia pump for added flow....all done with input from the BAR member...so thanks and here are some pictures.

Attached files /attachments/sites/default/files/DSC00201.JPG /attachments/sites/default/files/DSC00203.JPG /attachments/sites/default/files/DSC00210.JPG /attachments/sites/default/files/DSC00216.JPG

Back