BULK purchase of blue leg hermits/emerald crabs (Martinez, Ca)

Discussion in 'Group Buys' started by eastbayreefer2010, Jun 30, 2010.

1. ok, so i have some feather calurpa in my tank and dont have any hermits to eat the algae (of which i have no clue where it came from) I also have this dark green sponge like algae growing on some liverock, any clue what that is?

*update*

just ordered 200 hermits and 6 emerald crabs, will be in on tuesday I believe.

I will have 160 hermits and 4 emerald crabs for sale.

anyone Interested in buying any let me know, just PM me.

2. r0ck0

r0ck0 Guest

Does anything eat caulerpa? Sea turtles, manatees?

Do you have any pics of the green sponge?

3. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

Hermits won;t eat it. Tangs, rabbitfish, urchins, etc will sometimes eat it, species dependent though.
    Check yours against the list of the 9 banned Caulerpa in the state of California...
    http://www.sccat.net/

Green sponge like macro is most likely...Codium

[​IMG]
    http://reefcleaners.org/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage-ask.tpl&product_id=33&category_id=6&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=34

4. r0ck0

r0ck0 Guest

I see most of the banned species of caulerpa are for sale at many LFS. What gives?
    Oddly enough I got home and I see my clown trigger has been eating my red macro algae. Pretty cool, glad something keeps it in check.

This stuff:
    [​IMG]

5. Im looking for 2 emerald crabs, ruby emerald crabs are preferred, a sally light foot crab and some blue legged hermit crabs.

will a sea hare work well for hair algae and calurpa?

anyone have the above for sale and are local let me know.

Closest fish store to me is All About Fish, but they are too expensive for these things.

6. tuberider

tuberider Guest

For the Caulerpa you can remove as much as possible and decrease your photoperiod, that will force the remaining Caulerpa to go sexual and die, make sure to skim aggressively and use fresh carbon during that period.

7. nudibranch

nudibranch Guest

I would not do a Sally Light Foot. At first they seem fine then they eventually get aggressive. That is not just my opinion, the book I use for reference even says that they will get aggressive. I had one that was great for hair algae, but it killed...
    A firefish
    A Blood Red Shrimp
    A Coral Banded Shrimp
    A yellow tang
    2 Emerald crabs
    And an African Pygmy Angel(it had dropsy though)
    That equals a lot more than the $10.00(I think that was how much it was) I spent on it. I eventually got a huge coral banded shrimp to scare it into submission. It finally died(I think) not to long ago.
    About the sea hare, they have them all the time at Caeser's Tropical Fish Factory.

8. nudibranch

nudibranch Guest

I forgot something, it would sometimes attack my Scolymia.

9. Coral reefer

Coral reefer President

Suck it Sally light foot

10. ok, so sally light foot is out.

I guess 2 emerald crabs and some blue legged hermits should do the trick.

I will decrease my photoperiod, but by how much? 4hrs a day instead of 12? right now is running 12pm actinics on, 1pm 10k on, 9pm 10k off, 10pm actinics off.

now, what if I were to leave my actinics to run the full 12hrs and cut down the 10k's to 4hrs (5pm on, 9pm off) since algae can't use the 420nm light range.

Tonight I will change my carbon and phospure out, start a wet skim and see how that works from there with a shorter photoperiod.

I just hate the caulerpa, it has attached itself onto coraline algae growing on the back wall and sides of the tank, the hair algae is starting to also but the caulerpa just grows so quickly within 3 days im picking it out again.

I may just break down and go to all about fish after work today and get me what I need, unless anyone knows of a cheaper place/person that has what I need.

11. eldiablosrt8

eldiablosrt8 Sponsor

I could use some hermits let me know if you go that route

12. dswong01

dswong01 Supporting Member

I have 3 hermits to give away if anyone wants them In castro valley

13. eldiablosrt8

eldiablosrt8 Sponsor

im out on the GB......

14. iCon

iCon Supporting Member

Support the LFS :)

15. OK, so I placed my order.

Will be getting 200 blue legged hermits and 6 emerald crabs.

anyone interested in buying some hermits/emerald crabs for really cheap?

I will be getting them tuesday, I will be available after 7:30pm.

thanks.

16. maybe I can turn this into a BULK Purchase for anyone that is interested.

I probably wont order until next week though, but anyone interested in anything and can pickup in martinez when it arrives let me know, just send a pm.

hopefully this will work quite well, especially if anyone was looking for cleanup crew members.