Bulk Reef Supply group buy?

Discussion in 'Group Buys' started by nash, Feb 12, 2008.

1. Vincerama2

Vincerama2 Evil Overlord

It's the Magnesium Chloride that is hard to get, not the Magnesium Sulfate. You can get cheap epsom salts at the drug store, but it's really hard to find any Mag Chloride anywhere locally!

V

2. sfsuphysics

sfsuphysics Supporting Member

IIRC Mag Sulfate is epsom salts which you really don't want to use too much in the tank if possible, build up of the sulfates(?? I have to look at Randy's article again to be sure).

Sodium Bicarb is your baking soda, which granted not everyone has a costco membership is MUCH cheaper there, think like $7 for a 12 pound bag or something. However someone who's going to make a move towards BRS I'd say shop local first! :D

3. robert4025

robert4025 Sponsor

[quote author=sfsuphysics link=topic=3024.msg78692#msg78692 date=1233870256]
    IIRC Mag Sulfate is epsom salts which you really don't want to use too much in the tank if possible, build up of the sulfates(?? I have to look at Randy's article again to be sure).

Sodium Bicarb is your baking soda, which granted not everyone has a costco membership is MUCH cheaper there, think like $7 for a 12 pound bag or something. However someone who's going to make a move towards BRS I'd say shop local first! :D

[/quote]

That's right...shop local first...especially when the local can save you even more...lol.

4. Vincerama2

Vincerama2 Evil Overlord

Dang, I should have bought some ice melter over the holidays and brought it home in my check in luggage. With my two kids, I could have brought EIGHT check in bags home (we took 5!). Ice melter (Mag Chloride) is like $10 for 6kg at Canadian Tire, plus you'd get Canadian Tire Money. (Inside joke for Canadians!)

Heck Robert, if you can get Mag Chloride, I think that's the winner!

Meh, my cheap side is kicking in and I'm looking more at Epsom salts, despite the "raise in sulfate" that Randy mentions.

V

5. robert4025

robert4025 Sponsor

I can get Mag Chloride too but I don't think you'll like the price. For some reason, it's hella expensive @ $4.75/lbs! and it only comes in a 100 lbs size. What the hell am I supposed to do with that much? lol.

6. Vincerama2

Vincerama2 Evil Overlord

yikes!

Yeah, that's too pricey, I think even with shipping those other places are cheaper!

I think I'll get some dolomite from my Lyngso and put it in my reactor..

V

7. sfsuphysics

8. iani

iani Guest

http://sierrachemicalcompany.com/

In sac has magnesium chloride for cheap. Thats where I got mine from. I think it was a little over a dollar a pound. 80 pound bag though lol.

9. robert4025

robert4025 Sponsor

Aha! I found Mag Chloride! It's a tehnical grade though, not Medical.

Package size: 50 LB BAG. Grade: HEXAHYDRATE TECHICAL FLAKE. Price: $0.89/lb.

Let me know if you guys interested. If I am going to make a run for it, I need to pick up at least 5 bags to make it my worhtwhile.

10. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

Unless you know the product and study the spec sheet I highly suggest you do not buy that Robert. The reason people use Mag Flake is it's known what's in it as RHF and others studied the spec sheet very carefully.

11. Vincerama2

Vincerama2 Evil Overlord

Hey Robert, maybe we can get the spec sheet and ask Randy or some other chem-savvy reefer to take a look at it? If it's good, you can count me in for a 50lb bag!

V

12. robert4025

robert4025 Sponsor

I am trying to get more info on the product as far as the brand but until then, this is what my supplier provided me with as far as the product composition:

Magnesium Chloride (MgCl2) - 47.40% (Range: 46.2 -48.3)
    Hexahydrate (MgCl2.6H20) - 100.00% (Range: 96 -100)
    Sulfate (SO4) - 0.30% (Range: <.5)
    Potassium (K) - 0.10% (Range: <.7)
    Sodium (Na) - 0.45% (Range: <.7)
    Calcium (Ca) - 0.15% (Range: .5)
    Magnesium Hydroxide (Mg(OH)2) - <.5%
    PH: 9 - 10

I'll pass along more info on the brand once I get it.

13. sfsuphysics

This is the datasheet for magflakes

Magnesium Chloride (MgCl2) 46.0 - 48 %
    Calcium Chloride (CaCl2) 2.0 - 3.0 %
    Sodium Chloride (NaCl) 0.5 - 1.0 %
    Potassium Chloride (KCl) 0.2 - 1.0 %
    Water (H2O) Balance to 100 %

14. Vincerama2

Vincerama2 Evil Overlord

I'll copy and paste to Randy's chem forum and see what he says. When Robert gets more data, then maybe we can get a more definitive answer.

V

15. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

They are just going to say it's what NOT is listed is what you need to worry about :)

16. robert4025

robert4025 Sponsor

[quote author=robert4025 link=topic=3024.msg79031#msg79031 date=1233967349]
    I am trying to get more info on the product as far as the brand but until then, this is what my supplier provided me with as far as the product composition:

Magnesium Chloride (MgCl2) - 47.40% (Range: 46.2 -48.3)
    Hexahydrate (MgCl2.6H20) - 100.00% (Range: 96 -100)
    Sulfate (SO4) - 0.30% (Range: <.5)
    Potassium (K) - 0.10% (Range: <.7)
    Sodium (Na) - 0.45% (Range: <.7)
    Calcium (Ca) - 0.15% (Range: .5)
    Magnesium Hydroxide (Mg(OH)2) - <.5%
    PH: 9 - 10

I'll pass along more info on the brand once I get it.
    [/quote]

Ok...the manufacturer name is North American Salt. Again, it's a technical grade. Not Food/USP grade. Anyone familiar with using this brand?

17. Vincerama2

Vincerama2 Evil Overlord

We can ask for an MSDS here http://www.nasalt.com/msds.htm#

V

18. Vincerama2

Vincerama2 Evil Overlord

They seem to have several types of mag cl, some is consumer grade ice melter, some is "dust gard" check out the list, maybe we can get a few MSDS for the Mg Cl products.

Robert, can you get any of the products, or just the one you mentioned?

V

19. robert4025

robert4025 Sponsor

Just the one mentioned.