got ethical husbandry?

Bumbling newbie's 65g mixed reef

Holy cow! I need to secure my tank! Thanks for the video.

Having shown the worst, I wonder how many of us have our tanks secured? I don't.

I experienced a small quake a few years back. The top of the canopy made quite the noise - that's what got my attention. Water sloshed about somewhat but no tank/stand failure.

The video didn't really say how big a quake was simulated in the failure. The first test was equal to the Kobe quake and both tanks on really awful stands survived.

Okay, so I'm pretty disappointed right now. I was planning on buying this product...

Since it says right on the website that I could control LED dimming and powerheads, I assumed I would be able to control my LEDs and powerheads with the controller. Silly me! Now, if I understand it correctly I need a dimming module for the lights (plus a cable?) and an RF module for the powerheads. That's an extra $224 worth of equipment. I know, if I wasnt a newbie I would understand all of this stuff, but it just seems dishonest. Shouldn't they state, "additional equipment needed" next to the features that require additional equipment?!?

Having shown the worst, I wonder how many of us have our tanks secured? I don't.

I experienced a small quake a few years back. The top of the canopy made quite the noise - that's what got my attention. Water sloshed about somewhat but no tank/stand failure.

The video didn't really say how big a quake was simulated in the failure. The first test was equal to the Kobe quake and both tanks on really awful stands survived.

That's a good point. They didn't say how big a quake that was. But I foresaw a different ending to that video, so made my hubby watch it with me. Now he's really freaked out. LOL

RA is a sponsor and member here.

All the controllers have similar 'additional parts needed' depending on what you want to do/control. Not all products interface with controllers. It's a mess.

With all that said, I love my controller! I'd love it more if it was a few hundred $$ less, but what the heck. I earn money so I can SPEND it. ;)

Reefkeeping is helping me reach my goal.

RA is a sponsor and member here.

All the controllers have similar 'additional parts needed' depending on what you want to do/control. Not all products interface with controllers. It's a mess.

With all that said, I love my controller! I'd love it more if it was a few hundred $$ less, but what the heck. I earn money so I can SPEND it. ;)

Reefkeeping is helping me reach my goal.

I know, it's just my newbie misunderstanding. I thought I would get by with buying the controller and wifi expansion alone. I'm just disappointed. I'll get over it.

Quick advice : Avoid the Yellowtail Damsel. They are mean.

Regarding reef angel:
Good product. I have used one as well.
The main controller has 2 ports for LED included. That is usually enough for whites + blues.
You only need to buy the expansion if you need more LED pins.
For power-heads, if you want fancy control, yes, that is extra, as it is on almost all controllers.
If you just plug them in to the relay box, you are set as-is.
So not false advertising, but yes, confusing.
On the plus side : You can even download the schematics and source code, so you know exactly
what you are getting.

I am glad you are worrying about quake issues. Lots of people ignore that issue.
Interestingly, there are differences of opinions on how best to secure them.
Plus best method may vary if you have glass or acrylic.
Some say to solidly bolt the stand to the wall, and have a lip around the bottom of the stand.
Others say to make a strong stand, but keep it loose, so it can flex and move.

I'm controlling my LEDs with my reef angel without a dimming module. There are two dimming ports on the outlet box. I did have to buy a longer dimming cable, from rapidleds.com

Isn't the rf module for wireless ecotech products? I can understand why it's not necessarily part of the base package.

Earthquakes do happen :0
There is a lip on the stand to prevent the tank from sliding. But if there is a good roller, the center of gravity is very high

I thought I posted this earlier

Quick advice : Avoid the Yellowtail Damsel. They are mean.

Regarding reef angel:
Good product. I have used one as well.
The main controller has 2 ports for LED included. That is usually enough for whites + blues.
You only need to buy the expansion if you need more LED pins.
For power-heads, if you want fancy control, yes, that is extra, as it is on almost all controllers.
If you just plug them in to the relay box, you are set as-is.
So not false advertising, but yes, confusing.
On the plus side : You can even download the schematics and source code, so you know exactly
what you are getting.

I am glad you are worrying about quake issues. Lots of people ignore that issue.
Interestingly, there are differences of opinions on how best to secure them.
Plus best method may vary if you have glass or acrylic.
Some say to solidly bolt the stand to the wall, and have a lip around the bottom of the stand.
Others say to make a strong stand, but keep it loose, so it can flex and move.

See! I spoke too soon about the LED dimmer. Although my lights do have green and red, I could do without them for now. Thanks for clarifying. You're right, def no false advertising. I could also start without the fancy mode control on my powerheads to start with. I'll go ahead and place my order today. BTW, I do still need the LED cord right?

About quakes, now I understand why these Aqueon stands don't have a lip. That actually confused me. I assumed they knew what they were doing, just didn't understand it. The flex makes sense in a way.

I'm controlling my LEDs with my reef angel without a dimming module. There are two dimming ports on the outlet box. I did have to buy a longer dimming cable, from rapidleds.com

Isn't the rf module for wireless ecotech products? I can understand why it's not necessarily part of the base package.

Yeah, rygh (Mark) just explained both issues to me. It makes sense now, and I apologize for thinking badly of RA. I'm going to order the bare bones for now. I'll upgrade with the RF and dimming expansions later. I can do without for now. I mean, it will probably be months before I get a single fish in my tank. So, I don't need the fancy stuff yet. Huh, maybe Santa will bring me those extras.

Earthquakes do happen :0
There is a lip on the stand to prevent the tank from sliding. But if there is a good roller, the center of gravity is very high

I thought I posted this earlier

My stand doesn't have a lip. My hubby REALLY wants to tack one on, but I figure Aqueon knows more about this stuff than I do, and hesitate to change anything. IDK!

There is a lip in the molding of the tank bottom that will hold the tank in place. But this will have minor benefits during an earthquake.
Your best bet is to return the stand and build your own that will be more beneficial in the event of an earthquake.

After I found the plumbing basics article above, I decided that plumbing was not beyond me. And I tackled it.

This help a lot.

I bought all the parts I thought I would need. HA! Then ended making another 15 or 20 trips to OSH and Home Depot.

And I got busy.

I had a couple of leaks, one was an easy fix (below, extra ring in a join), the other forced me to cut out a section and redo it. I think that one was caused by me skimping on the PVC cement.

It all took longer than I though it would, but this being my first plumbing project EVER, I don't think I did too badly.
Sump inlet:

And nearly completed return:

Yeah, rygh (Mark) just explained both issues to me. It makes sense now, and I apologize for thinking badly of RA. I'm going to order the bare bones for now. I'll upgrade with the RF and dimming expansions later. I can do without for now. I mean, it will probably be months before I get a single fish in my tank. So, I don't need the fancy stuff yet. Huh, maybe Santa will bring me those extras.

If there is one thing I would suggest, is to buy the RA+ version. The new libraries make customization difficult since the libraries take up most of the memory.

Back